Friday, November 19, 2010

Compassion

Yesterday I clicked on a link to learn more about the Charter for Compassion. Quite by accident I caught the live webcast of an event celebrating the first anniversary of the Charter. Last night I did an online search to see if the webcast was available for viewing and found it here. If you would like a little lift while you hear about some of the positive effects of compassion, I recommend a listen. I know I will return to listen again soon.

One of the main themes of my Buddha Chick class is compassion ~ for myself, for people I love and people I know and people I find difficult. The practice of loving-kindness is one way to start. Its simplicity is deceiving. The benefits are transforming. You can start by saying these phrases for yourself. I borrowed the last line from Mermaid ~

May I be safe
May I be well
May I be happy
May I be peaceful and at ease
May I love and accept myself just as I am

* * * * * * * *

I am leaving this morning on a two-day trip to Hartford, Connecticut. A friend asked me to go with her and a group organized by her mom. I know where and when to meet the bus, and I know it's a conference for women. Beyond that I don't have many details, but I am looking forward to the trip. I am always up for an adventure with a friend.

My guess is that I will have stories to tell upon my return.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

You'll be in my neck of the woods, I live outside of Hartford. Sending out a whole latte "Welcome" to you and your friends :)

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I'll be eager to hear your stories, Sharon. And thank you for the link of the replay of the Charter for Compassion event! May compassion be the queen of our hearts.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventure!

Laura said...

I hope all goes well on your trip, I remember you telling me about it:)

Thanks for sharing the link dear one...I missed the live broadcast so this is great!

Have a wonderful trip...I'm so grateful you are hosting at my place tomorrow!!!
xo

Lori said...

I accidently found this charter for compassion about a month ago. It still gives me goose bumps when I watch it. I love these thoughts on compassion. Hope your trip was adventursome and that you make new memories with your friends.