Friday, January 14, 2011

January Is For Finances

This is the month I review accounts, start collecting tax information, look at our budget, and begin to get a picture of what the coming year looks like financially. This year will look different from the past several because our youngest graduates from college in May, and I made the last tuition payment on his behalf this week!

Well, as they say, it's always somethin' ~ just as I was patting myself on the back things began to fall apart.

My first clue that this was going to be a strange day should have been that the stars have moved and there are now 13 zodiac signs. I will let that sink in if you haven't heard the news.... The magnetic fields between the moon and the earth have caused the relationship we have with the stars to change so a new sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus, has been inserted between late November and early December. I think that means that I'm not supposed to be an Aquarius any longer. You know what? I'm staying with what I've always been. I like being a water bearer and all that says about me, and what possible difference could it make anyway? I mean, really....

When I couldn't log into one of my online accounts I wasn't too worried. If I haven't used the same computer consistently to pay the account, there is a request for a special log-in ID, which I ask for and is sent to me by email. No problem. Except that I typed the first one they sent me in the wrong box, and it was voided. Back to the beginning to start the process over, which I was able to complete successfully the second time.

Then the mail came. There was a letter and a statement about MY school loan that I couldn't make sense of. I pulled out my file on that account and nothing matched. I checked the account online and the account summary page looked different. So I called the 800 number on the back of the letter and fortunately got a person right away. Just days ago the loan was split into two accounts and is now managed by two separate entities, with new interest rates and monthly payment amounts which need to be made to the two separate accounts. I will wait until I get updated payment coupons before I resume making payments to any account. I told the person on the phone that I had confirmation numbers for all payments I have made, and she suggested that it would be a good idea to hold onto those.

Did I stop there? Oh, no. I had to keep testing the stars to see if things were as out of line as they appeared to be. This week we received updated credit cards for the account we have had the longest; we don't use the cards that often but keep the account, well, because it was our first VISA account. In the past when I've activated newly minted cards I've called the 800 number from my home phone and a polite recording has said on the other end of the phone, "Your card is now activated." Today? Not so easy ~ confirm that we received two cards, punch in the account number, punch in the last four digits of Ken's social security number, punch in the security code on the back of the old card [which is in a drawer somewhere], reset the PIN, and then I got the recording that said my cards were activated.

Okay, I finally got the message: I will not try to accomplish anything else that has to do with finances. I just hope the ATM is working tomorrow....

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Good luck untangling the finances but I had to chime in on the astrology thing. Fox News and others have been incorrecty reporting the "news" of a new planet (it's not a planet, but a constellation) and the fact that this might change everyone's zodiac sign. Just not so. I've checked with several reliable astrologers and they all say the same thing. Astrology is based on planets and seasons, not on constellations. There was a similar concern when Pluto got demoted, but astrologers still use Pluto as a planet. So in short, nobody's sign has changed and it's all a tempest in a teapot.

mermaid said...

When things are strange for me, I've learned it is best to try and not figure things out right then and there. If I push myself to, I usually regret it later.

I hope the finances become clear. Regardless of the strange things, it must feel incredible to have supported your children through college.

Leigh Russell said...

That's so true. Just when I think things are going smoothly, something unforeseen crops up! When I think a MS is finished, my editor comes up with one more tiny suggestion to change a word or add or remove some detail. And once the current work is proofed and gone to print I'll be on to my next book, so it's neverending!

teri said...

Sharon- The finance thing has been wonky around here too- but I battle through and suddenly all these good (but strange) things started happening. One example went back to Coldwater Creek to see if they had my new jeans in a smaller size- They did not-BUT the saleswoman noticed that the items on my receipt were now on sale for less - and she refunded me $45 which was over half the total! I did by the way clean out my closet and said good bye to my jeans from the 90's. xoxox hugs- off teri

Laura said...

just an odd day, sharon, not to worry...things will right themselves soon enough...relax and witness the unfolding.