Friday, January 21, 2011

The Road Not Taken

There is a world of difference between the knowledge that I made choices along the way and acceptance of the choices that I made. I am coming into the acceptance stage. In celebration I am sharing my favorite making-peace-with-the-path-I-took poem ~

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

(The Poetry of Robert Frost, 1979, Henry Holt and Company)

9 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Love this poem. Explains so much of life...

Debra said...

Dear Sharon, it seems as if you have been thinking a lot about "The Road Not Taken" lately which I suppose is something that we all come to do at some point or another. I like that the word "unafraid" has chosen you! Because in many ways, we must be unafraid if we are truly going to examine the paths that we have taken and the ones that we have not. And yes, ultimately the place where we must arrive is at acceptance.

I am your sister on this journey, dear heart. You are not alone for I am behind you cheering you on.

Hugs,
Debbie

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

One of my favorite poems. I surely know about "The Road" - that is why I moved from the big city to my cottage by the woods - a year and a half ago. a total lifestyle change.
Your sharing is meaningful...

Joanne said...

Though I haven't always, I like to think that now I am taking the road less-travelled, in my choices, in my writing craft, in my ideas. There's something pioneering about it that keeps us continuing on around that bend.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, this is also one of my favorite poems! Thanks for posting it. Funny that I was just thinking about it a few days ago as I was walking back to my car from the evening class I'm taking at our community college. The pathway splits toward two different parking lots. And then I thought of Yogi Berra's remark: "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." And I had to laugh!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all-time favorite poems. It never fails to move me, and to speak my personal truth. Thanks for the reminder, Sharon!

Anne said...

I love Robert Frost, I love this poem. Thank you for showing it to me today. Just lovely, and somehow more so because of the snow outside. I don't know why. :)

mermaid said...

This poem was/is one of my favorites from grade school. It's nice to reflect on the choices we have made, honoring both the wise and not so wise ones. We were only searching for Paradise.

teri said...

Not sure how I missed this post - but I am glad I stopped by. I did not ponder long on the path to take- oh so long ago. That choice was thankfully very easy. But it was a road that until recently left behind many friends who wondered what the heck I was doing. Thanks for sharing!