Monday, January 31, 2011

On Being Bold And True: Week Four

This post is the fourth in a series of Monday posts On Being Bold and True. Each week I have written a post about something I feel passionately about, something I am proud of accomplishing, or something that is intensely personal that I might not otherwise write about. I have chosen to write about things that make me who I am.

I am writing this late on Monday night because of the very thing I chose for today's topic:
I am a procrastinator.

I think, rethink, and overthink most of the decisions I make. I make plans for most of what I do, and the follow-through can take awhile because I consider every angle, check and doublecheck the facts or procedure, and proceed with caution.

This has always been my process. To be honest, I'm tired of it. I don't need to become reckless, but I need to stop spinning my wheels.

When I look at the words on the vision board I created I see:
WELLbeING
How to Break Free
New Best Friends That love You Back
Live Your Best Year
Live Your Best Life
Ch-Ch-CHANGES!
renewal
Are you just getting started
a world with more birthdays
worthy
PASSION
The Future Is Bright
Accept Them Fully
Connections
fresh start
Today
Have your coffee black
the healing garden in bloom
THIS IS What 55 LOOKS LIKE

I will turn 55 in February. What exactly do I want 55 to look like? How do those words and phrases on my vision board fit with how I see myself and what I want? How do I get there from here?

I need to stop procrastinating. I need to take some leaps of faith.

So here's what I have decided to do: for the month of February I am going to post here every day. I have said that I want to write more, and I have decided that I will start here.

There will be plenty to write about. I have things I've started that I need to finish. I have things I've wanted to do but haven't. I have ideas that I need to develop or abandon because they have been taking up space for too long.

Please feel welcome to check in as time permits. Believe it or not I have thought about doing this before now, but I've been concerned that posting every day would put some people off.

See? I have perfected the art of procrastination to the point that I use what other people may think to continue to put things off!

We'll see how it goes. That I've written this out is one step in the right direction.

10 comments:

teri said...

Oh dear ... You must have thought me rather reckless last month when I posted everyday. (I am kidding) You know I will be with you everyday - and will enjoy every minute of your boldness!

I am all too familiar with creative procrastination-xo

Anonymous said...

That made me chuckle!We share this 55th year WooHoo! It'll be a great one!

Joanne said...

I like this daily idea of yours, it has a certain energy and boldness to it. I can't wait to see where you take it, and us, with your words ...

Helen said...

I find that when I'm procrastinating if I jump into the task, it's usually not as daunting or analysis-worthy as I imagined. With your goal and general ideas in mind I believe you'll find your daily blog an easy task. And I look forward to reading!

Speaking of procrastination, time to log off and attend to overdue administrative work!

Carolynn Anctil said...

If you build it, they will come.

This isn't about us, anyway, Sharon. This is about you and what you want for yourself. I love this choice you're making. I can feel your strength and power building with each new post you write. It's thrilling and inspiring. You're building momentum and that kind of energy will only attract, not repel.

xoxo

Anne said...

Yay! I'm excited to have more of your words to read.
:)
Stay safe and warm in the storm.

Laura said...

bold, courageous, a small step each day...I'm proud of you Sharon and will stop by as often as I can to see what unfolds. YOU are deeply loved you know? Your wisdom is waiting for you to sit and listen and share it with the world.

xoxoxo

Patti Lacy said...

Sharon, we will be the same age for one month, when I will move on up the female ladder!


Ah. Have I ever missed this place!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are on the right path. You are so young... When you roll past 70 - 50's are young :)
I have always been the opposite.
I never met procrastination..
Fast decisions.
Think about it
Pray about it
Go with what is in your heart.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I am the Queen of Procrastination and a champion slacker. For every art or writing project I complete, there are five or six I've neglected, abandoned, or not started because I am secretly terrified ... I love the phrase "bold and true" and will keep it in mind. Forge on, my friend!