Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Anticipation

In two days my youngest child will graduate from college. I have been anticipating this day for twenty-three years.

There have been times in my life when I have enjoyed the anticipation before an event more than I have enjoyed the event itself. I have no reason to expect this to be one of those times, but that gives you an idea of how much I like the feeling of anticipation. I like it a lot.

The most wonderful thing about T's graduation is that it holds as much excitement as the graduations of my other two children. Each one chose their own path, and each one excelled at what they chose to do. Ken and I were the support system while they found their way, made decisions, learned from mistakes, and celebrated successes.

By the time my children left for college they were independent adults. They had the skills they needed to live in the world and the ability to take care of themselves. When they stopped holding on, I had to let go.

So this week has not been hard because I had to let go. There has been an element of sadness because it's the end of another era for our family. I have been trying to think of what I can compare it to...and today it occurred to me that the feeling is similar to what I felt when I knew I wouldn't have any more babies. At the time we had three healthy children, and the youngest was starting school; I was starting my first full-time teaching job; and it was time for our family to move into the next stage. I knew it was the right time ~ for me, for my family. There was still a twinge of sadness because I felt immeasurable joy with the birth of each of my children.

Just as I have felt joy at each of their graduations. I have always cheered the loudest and clapped the longest, and I know that will be true at the Boston Garden on Friday.

That doesn't mean that I don't feel a twinge of sadness that this is the college graduation of my youngest child, that this era in our family is over. The smiles will overshadow the tears, and memories will be stored for future reference.

The journey continues....

8 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Sharon, we are not at this point yet with our girls, but still each milestone is a mix of joy and tender sadness both feelings for time moving forward.

xo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I understand all you share. Down the road from you with my four children and now have 3 grandchildren college age and 2 little ones.
All I can say is "it has been a delightful journey."
Smiles and tears along the way.
Wonder what will come next :)

Joanne said...

I'm in the same club, my youngest is graduating college too. Today is her last day of exams. Time is so intriguing, the way it moves through our lives, isn't it?

Raising my coffee cup in a toast to the Grads ... Cheers :)

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a beautiful gift you've given your children. And, I'm not talking about the college education, either.

*Hugs*

Helen said...

Enjoy your family weekend…will be thinking of you.

An excerpt from the writings of Kahlil Gibran:

On Children

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

Cheers to graduates everywhere and the moms who helped guide their pathway. Good wishes for a Happy Mother’s Day weekend to all who visit this blog.

mermaid said...

I appreciate the way you narrate the joy and the sadness of transitions. Happy Mother's Day to you, dear one and congratulations on a job well done (for them and you:)

Anonymous said...

It is a milestone indeed. This was the subject of my newspaper column this week -- mothers who are learning to "let go" as their kids graduate from high school and college. It was hard for me to watch my son collect his diploma at Notre Dame, as I knew he had a job in Chicago and would be moving in a few weeks. I was excited for him, thrilled for his future ... but sad that our family life would never be the same. Ch-ch-ch-changes! Savor the moments while you can ...
Congrats on your son's graduation!

teri said...

Wow... the markers and the milestones- They tend come wrapped in a mixture of feelings. Thinking of you- congrats!