Friday, May 20, 2011

Yoga? Really?

Really.

I attended a yoga class Wednesday evening. It was a small group, led by a quick-talking, high-energy teacher. I didn't remember yoga being so fast paced, although I know a lot depends on the style of the teacher.

I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

My body didn't like it. My hands and feet cramped up. My legs and shoulders ached. My lower back hurt.

At the end of the class I told the teacher that I want to get back into yoga for the sake of my body. She told me that my body is tight. I agreed.

Tight. Inflexible. And in need of yoga.

I have put this off for a long time because I knew once I made the commitment to go I would follow through. That's something about myself that I can't easily change. Once I know that something is true I have to act on it.

So I'm "in." It took every ounce of persuasion I had to make myself go to that first class, but each time will get easier. I will explore other options for classes and see what other teachers have to offer.

My body isn't happy about being put in those positions, but it really doesn't have any say in the matter. This is for my own good.

7 comments:

teri said...

I took a fast paced yoga class... once.

I hope your body can adjust otherwise you need to join me at my yoga class!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

The class I attended and what I do is not fast paced.
I do slow and gentle
You talk about your middle.
For years I have done floor exercises, situps, stretches, bends - 4 children and no middle.
Do some exercises at home each morning. Just do it and it will take time but your body will reform.

Joanne said...

I give you credit Sharon, for taking your body where it doesn't want to go! I hope it acclimates ...

annie said...

It's important to find your self in yoga, so definitely try out other teachers and classes. It takes time. Just listen to your body and ask for modifications to poses if you need them.

Laura said...

you will find a teacher whose presence feels more comforting to you and a style that suits your bodies needs. NOT all yoga is vigorous...I am of the gentle yogini persuasion...go to your edge to find it and then back up to where you feel a stretch that feels good!

mermaid said...

I've learned that it isn't the body that is flexible or inflexible, but the mind that is. Sure there are areas of the body that are more stiff/tight than other parts. If I can offer kindness and love to the parts that are more stiff, they do eventually soften. Not to the degree of flexibility I would like, but softer than before.

Each person has a different rhythm, a different need in yoga. Some like fast placed yoga or poses that are held for infinity. Others like the more gentle/restorative type.

When part of my body is shouting out in pain or discomfort, I need to go slow and imagine my breathe is laced with love and understanding. If there is any aggression towards the body part at all, it is likely to just tighten more.

Touching the body part and even sending it metta wishes can be very therapeitic.

May you find your own gentle rhythm with a class and instructor that meet your needs. I'm so proud of you for going despite your reservations.

Carolynn Anctil said...

The Frenchman and I have taken a hiatus from hot yoga. With all that we had on our plate recently, we just didn't have the time or energy for it. We're going to get back into again. As tough as it is, I think it's good for the body.