Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Jewel In This Crowne

Summer movies are typically made for a certain demographic, namely people who enjoy watching things blow up and comic book characters come to life.

I keep my eyes peeled for summer releases that have a good story to tell.

The first time I saw the preview for Larry Crowne I knew that it was a movie I was going to enjoy. I mean, come on, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts? It doesn't get better than that.

I was not disappointed, but apparently some of the movie critics have been. Some think the movie is not realistic enough because the main character, Larry, is too happy.

Quite the contrary. Larry is living the way people who want to be happy are advised to live ~ he lives in the present moment and accepts life the way it happens. When he loses a job he enjoys and does well, he feels awful about it. But he picks himself up and figures out what he needs to do next. Then he takes action.

The movie has heart and humor and hope.

It's too bad that critics only recognize violent behavior, false characters, and crass slapstick.

Personally, I like to have heart, humor, and hope in my life... and my movies.

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Really, how can they go wrong with Hanks and Roberts? I've seen this promoted recently, it looks like a film I'd enjoy.

Pienosole said...

A great, and well-written, review. I look forward to seeing it when I return to the States next week.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

I also saw reviews of Larry Crowne that considered the movie "pleasant enough" but unworthy of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm planning to. As someone who's pursuing a post-bachelor certificate at a community college, I see up to half my classes filled with people my age. The premise of the movie sounds realistic.

mermaid said...

Thank you for the review. I will need to see it. I've learned a thing or two about critics. Don't let them affect your own views:)

Helen said...

Agree with your comment -- "Hanks & Roberts; doesn't get better than that!" I'm looking forward to seeing the movie as soon as I can. Definitely ready for some heart and humor!

I admire you for keeping up with current movies in the theatre. If I see a movie it is typically MANY months (or years!) after it comes out on DVD.

teri said...

What a great post- heart,humor and hope,- just perfect!(16 days to go!)

Laura said...

Thanks for this review Sharon! Maybe one evening I will ask Gordon to take me on a date...we've not been to the movies in such a long time!!!!

cindy said...

I can't wait to see it! I tend to ignore the film critics and these are two of my favorite actors.

Cindy L said...

First, it's good to catch up with you -- I am reading all your posts, but decided to leave my comment on this one. (Love the blueberry recipe!)

I am glad I read this review, as I have been debating whether or not to see "Crowne"... I do tend to avoid films with so-so reviews, but I hasten to add that I should know better. Having started out as a reviewer for plays, films, and art shows, I can vouch for the fact that "critics" are often instructed by their editors to include negative comments "for balance" -- even if we didn't have anything negative to add.

Sadly, we live in a culture that seems to revel in snarky comments and a pessimistic view of things. With that in mind, I am thinking that "Crowne" sounds refreshing and good -- just as you point out here! Thanks, Sharon!