Monday, July 25, 2011

Through The Looking Glass

Early Friday morning Ken and I set off for two days in Boston. The weather forecast was for "hot" but we found ways to deal with that: an air-conditioned Concord Trailways bus, bottled water, and an afternoon at the Museum of Fine Arts. The hottest part of the day was getting to my son's apartment, but even that was bearable as most of the trek was on an air-conditioned subway. We were all looking forward to seeing the Chihuly exhibit at the MFA ~
The exhibit, titled "Through the Looking Glass," did not disappoint us. The crowds were small so we could get close enough to take photos, and we could spend as much time as we wanted with each display. I don't usually share this many photos in a single post, but I don't know how many of you around the country will have access to this amazing exhibit of blown glass by the truly unique artist Chihuly. Here are my favorites:

Ikebana Boat, on a reflective surface, from the front ~

Ikebana Boat from the end ~

Tabac Baskets are thin glass bowls displayed on an enormous plank of Douglas fir ~

Mille Fiori means "thousand flowers" ~

It was hard to pick a favorite part of Mille Fiori, but I was partial to the blues and greens ~

The Persian Ceiling has hundreds of individual pieces, lit from above ~

Many put us in mind of the ocean ~

Especially the occasional mermaid ~

This Boston exhibit contains six chandeliers, the most Chihuly has had in one display. My favorite was the yellow one, shown here next to one that is dark blue and orange ~

The last display in the exhibit hall was called Neodymium Reeds, for the lavender/blue color of the tapers ~


We were delighted to find this 42-foot Lime Green Icicle Tower in the cafe outside the hall, one more piece to examine and enjoy ~

If I lived closer to Boston I would visit the exhibit again, but it's only there through August 7, so I will have to hope to see his work in another place someday. (Of course when I get back to Las Vegas I can pay another visit to his ceiling at the Bellagio:)

7 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

The photos are great; really capture the beauty of the exhibit. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Wow, that glass art is just awe-inspiring! I especially loved the Tabac Baskets and the mermaid with the ripples around her, but all of it was so amazing.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of his work. I can appreciate the workmanship but it's all just a little too busy for me. I do like the lime green Icicle tower though and the mermaid in the glass - now that's incredible. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

magnificent Sharon, I so wanted to see this event...maybe I'll be up to it over the weekend...what a joy that would be! Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes my friend!

teri said...

Exquisite photos-so glad you were able to go. I am in love with all the colors in the close ups you took!

MMH said...

This so reminded me of a visit to the museum in Tacoma Washington a few years ago. Glass is gorgeous. And very Pacific Northwest.

Jeannette StG said...

I love the view of the Ikabana boat from the end.
Browsing a few of your posts, there's "a tread of worry" going through it. You must have been used to a good and comfortable life. My life was good, but often not comfortable. Hope you can view your "losses" as opportunities for a new beginning:) Take care!