Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Keep Moving

When I climbed on the treadmill on Sunday it had been eleven days since my last yoga class and thirteen days since my last intentional "walk."

I had good reasons. There was company and hot weather and a trip to Boston. And I did walk through gardens and down city streets.

It's just not the same as walking at a good pace on the treadmill or doing an hour of yoga. I have done at least thirty minutes on the treadmill each day this week and attended a yoga class last evening.

My body is thanking me.

And that's the issue. Now that I have concrete evidence of how differently I feel one week to the next, when one week includes intentional movement and one week does not, I know I have to keep moving.

I am grateful every day that I have the mobility I have. I have friends who have limited mobility for a variety of reasons, such as arthritis and old injuries. Every time Ken and I take a walk we reflect on how fortunate we are to be healthy and able to move about freely.

I have had the luxury of time to establish habits of exercise, another thing for which I am grateful.

The lesson of the last three weeks is that I need to keep moving no matter what else is going on in my life. If I don't have the time, I need to make the time.

7 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Right thinking
Proud of you :)

mermaid said...

Your commitment is inspiring! Keep moving, keep loving your body no matter what.

cindy said...

I hear you! I can feel the mental uplift almost immediately. I am challenging myself this week to do cardio 5 times instead of my usual 2 or 3 or none;-)

Carolynn Anctil said...

Ugh! I'm such a sloth. *sigh*

Every day I give thanks for the health & happiness of all my family & friends - so I guess that includes you, too. *smile*

Happy walking.

Laura said...

just wanted to say hello Beautiful ♥

keep loving that body of yours!

Debra said...

Wonderful perspective, Sharon. Because of my illness, my ability to move on a predictable basis is extremely limited, but that does not mean that I should give up trying.

Thanks for the reminder:)

Big hugs,
Deb

teri said...

I was back to my 4 miles of walking today-it felt soooo good! sending healthy calorie free hugs-