Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Days Of Daylilies

Two years ago I received a box of daylily plants in the mail. A friend in Massachusetts was thinning out her plants, of which she has hundreds, and thought I would enjoy a few for my garden. Last year there was a handful of flowers and I enjoyed every one. It can take a period of years for transplanted daylilies to settle in and bloom so this year I have been surprised to have at least one flower a day for the last four weeks ~

The ruffled orange among the maple leaves made me smile ~


The nicest surprise has been the beautiful blooms that appeared on rainy days ~


I have not seen this almost-white color anywhere else ~

We have had steady rain for the last two days, and tonight my mood matches the weather. There is more rain predicted for Thursday and Friday, but a big yellow sun is on tomorrow's weather map. I will be pleasantly surprised if there are any daylily buds left to bloom ~

8 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Rain is our norm around here, so I feel your pain. We've been enjoying a lovely stretch of clear skies and warm weather, so we're all extremely giddy here. I do so love a blooming flower.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Those bursts of color are wonderful to see, especially after a rainy spell.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

They are beautiful. I need to plant a white one in my garden.

Helen said...

Next to sunflowers, daylillies are my favorite -- beautiful photos.

We've been in TX for a week and there are no wildflowers, trees and shrubs are wilting or brown, and the grass is brown & crunchy underfoot. Arrived in NM this afternoon and plants are a tad better off than that, but not by much. Come on monsoon rains!

Hope you were able to be outdoors to enjoy your sunny day and give your mood a boost. When the rain clouds & showers reappear, turn on lots of lights in the house and try not to look out the window. Too bad there's not a way we could do a weather exchange for a few days!

Things that make me happy said...

These are beauties, Sharon! I love when friends give us bulbs and flowers ... the gift that keeps on giving over the years.

teri said...

Your post reminds me of our families long ago yearly visit to New England. The daylily blooms much earlier in Virginia so I loved seeing the daylilies again during our August visit.

I am glad to see that flowers bloom even on rainy days... xo teri

mermaid said...

Flowers blooming despite the rain...I wonder what we humans can learn from this.

I do hope sunshine is on its way.

MMH said...

Your lilies - what a joy. And what a joy to have rain. We are on water rationing here in Houston. Trees all over the city are in danger of dying. City says our 'tree canopy' will be severely impacted over the next five years because of this drought. And central Texas is in worse shape. We may be going back to desert.
Thank heaven for you lilies.