Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Seasoned, Not Stirred

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments. I did attend two workshops at the local career center today and I learned some interesting things.

The biggest surprise I had was that in the current job market I am considered a "seasoned" worker. There is actually a guy who holds seminars to educate career counselors about the discrimination against older workers, now called seasoned workers, a phrase he has coined.

The category includes workers who are 55 and older.

I laughed out loud. Really? This is my latest label?

When I returned to college at age 33 I was called a "nontraditional" student. I bought that for about five minutes, and then I laughed when I learned that one third of the student body looked like me. We didn't need our own label. A student is a student is a student.

Just as a worker is a worker is a worker. I don't need a special label.

I don't feel seasoned or old. In fact I said out loud to a group at the morning break that I feel the best I've felt in ten years ~ physically better, mentally better...and to myself I included spiritually better. Then I said that I could outrun any one of them:)

Other than learning that I'm in a new category I knew nothing about, the information was helpful and the day was productive. I was again encouraged to apply for a job with state government, and that idea seemed valid until I got home and looked online to find about a dozen jobs listed. Soooooo I will need to further investigate that avenue.

There may be a contact to be made through someone the instructor knows at a local nonprofit. She mentioned the woman as an example of someone we could call to request an informational interview, where we sit down with someone to learn more about the jobs offered by an organization without actually interviewing for a job. At the end of the afternoon workshop I stopped to ask if it would be a good idea for me to give the woman a call, and the instructor offered to mention my name and intention to call when she speaks to her friend tomorrow.

I feel positive about the day I had. It's not that anything specific has happened. It's that there are things I can do to keep moving in the right direction. It's that I feel like I am making minute bits of progress and that gives me the encouragement I need to continue the job search.

Onward ~

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

That label made me smile. Something new.
Wonder what a matriarch in
her 70's would be called.
I do not like end of the road.
Maybe just the end.

mermaid said...

Confidence and courage. Those two words came to mind as I read this post. You are a wise flower blossoming into who you were meant to be.

Seasoned indeed!

cindy said...

It's great that you're taking positive steps toward your goal. There's been a lot written recently about "seasoned" workers being a better hire than most. Hope this works out for you. And sorry you didn't get the last job. Something better is coming along!

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Just taking "the next step" is what's important. Sharon, it sounds now as if you're enjoying this journey! I think that's a great place to be.

MMH said...

A 'seasoned worker'? Interesting notion. So hope a job comes through for you. If you believe Rick Perry, you'd be moving to Texas. And that is another story and another subject. Check out www.meetrickperry.com