Monday, August 8, 2011

It's August

August is off to a roaring start in these parts.

* * * * * * * *

We came to the decision to sell our 1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan, known affectionately as Loretta. The problems with the engine continue and now she needs a right rear brake. She does still run, and I hoped that someone who knows Subaru cars would be interested in giving her a newer engine and a few more years. Last week I placed an ad in Uncle Henry's, a local for-sale magazine that lets you list items for free if your ad is 15 words or less. The magazine is available each Thursday and that morning I got my first phone call at 7:12. By Friday I had received four phone calls and decided to meet with the owner of a local auto repair shop who offered me more than I asked without even seeing the car. Two hours later he came by for a look-see and liked the car. He has an engine that needs a home and thinks Loretta will fill the bill. We drove her over to his place on Saturday. It was sad to see her go but it was the right decision for us.

* * * * * * * *

We have had warm temperatures and rain most every day this month. Yesterday was cool with steady rain, so Ken and I headed to the movie theater to find more people than we've ever seen at the cinemaplex in Brunswick. We were looking forward to seeing "Crazy, Stupid Love." With the line almost out the door we turned around and decided to try again another day.

* * * * * * * *

Up until just a few days ago I was holding out hope that I would be able to write a different type of post today. I had what I thought was a good job interview a couple weeks ago. A few days later the program manager called at least one of my references, so I felt good about that, too. Then on Thursday I received the dreaded rejection letter. The good news is that I got a letter at all and that it was personalized. The bad news is that I didn't get a job. Most telling was the last sentence in the second paragraph: "I do hope that you will have success in finding a position that will make use of your education."

This is important information for me to have because it confirms what I have thought for awhile now. It appears to people who know me only through my resume and a brief interview that I have a good amount of education and this is not balanced with the right amount of experience.

I take responsibility for not adequately relaying my passion for and desire to do the work for which I am applying. There is a missing link that I am obviously not able to find on my own.

So today I called the Southern Midcoast Career Center to reserve a place on Wednesday for the morning Resume & Cover Letter Workshop and the afternoon Job Search & Interviewing Workshop. It has been over two years since I had help with my resume and I have been told that templates have changed in that time.

I feel my disappointment in the pit of my stomach. My renewed job search has shown me that I can get in the door but I can't close the deal. It worries me that I feel bitter. Again I am angry with myself and every decision I've made in the last three decades. I can't keep going back to that place because it doesn't help ~ negative thinking will not improve the situation.

So I made a phone call, checked a website online, and found a career center that offers the workshops this week. I called to reserve space before I had time to change my mind.

I can't be afraid to hear what I need to do if I am serious about finding a job.

The journey continues....

7 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

This must be so hard, Sharon. Sounds like you are taking some tough but positive steps to get what you're looking for. Look forward, not backward. Good thoughts coming your way.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, it must have been disappointing to get so close and then get letter saying you didn't get the job. On the other hand, you and your resume passed through several gates and they did consider you.

I think it's wise to go to the career center for advice on resumes and interviewing. I've been reading more and more articles saying that the resume styles I've used in the past have been updated. You've gotten this close...I know you can do it!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Wonderful about the car.
Your career and working...
it will happen when it is suppose to happen - you have done all that you can do - I firmly believe this.
But then I am like an older sister telling you my thoughts.
15 years ago when my daughter graduated from college and went on her own - I decided to reenter the job market. A lot of doors opened and it amazed me. The times are different...

Carolynn Anctil said...

Congratulations on selling the car! We've had ours on the market for a week and no nibbles yet. It will go. *sigh*

Don't even get me started on a rant about movie theatres....

I'm so sorry your job interview didn't produce the result you were hoping for. But, you're getting closer. I can feel it. And, you gained some valuable knowledge and you got out there and did what you needed to do. That sounds like victory to me.

Just because you didn't get the job doesn't mean you weren't qualified or capable. It just means another candidate had something else they wanted in addition to all that. It's neither good nor bad. It just is.

As an old acquaintance used to say: "Some will, some won't. Next."

Blessings,
Carolynn

Carolynn Anctil said...

For you:

http://youtu.be/OMciyWyugKY

xoxoxo

teri said...

So long Loretta! Isn't amazing how we find letting go of things in our lives... Do you know I think of every person that has sat in the front seat of my eight year old Rav 4... and make a mental note when someone new sits beside me. The journey's are many. On another note... may your job hunt journey find a place to rest- as Laura (Shine the Divine) mentions in her post today. xo teri

Things that make me happy said...

Sharon, I feel your pain. But I admire you for being in the place where you are actually out there and trying to get a real job. I'm at an impasse lately, trying to figure out what to be when I grow up. Freelance writing isn't in my heart anymore, and the markets are awful anyway ... and I cannot for the life of me figure out where to go next. I share your frustration on many levels, but again, I admire you for stepping ahead on the journey as you've done so far. Keep the faith.