Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not An Orange Truck In Sight

Our power company has easily recognizable orange trucks. So far I haven't seen one on our road, and we are at 68 hours without power. I was encouraged Monday afternoon when the fallen tree closest to our house ~

Got the attention it needed to no longer be a problem ~


I walked further down our road to see that this tree had also been cleared away ~




By Tuesday afternoon every bit of wood from both trees had been salvaged by neighbors for firewood. I hoped it would only be a matter of hours before power would be restored. This morning I walked down the road to see if there had been any further progress and heard work being done on a neighbor's new garage, where I learned we are waiting for a new telephone pole before power can be restored. When the oak tree fell across the road it took with it the top of the pole standing in the way, and there are only so many pole trucks.... It might be a while longer. Ken is working in New Hampshire. I'm lucky my youngest son is home to help me start the generator - I can do everything but pull the ripcord hard enough to get it started. It's a bittersweet visit because T is home for two weeks before he moves to Seattle for graduate school. I am looking for the silver lining. Walking up and down the road I have met more of my neighbors, which is a good thing because I may need their help with the ripcord in the next storm. I have one more photo to share that I am glad I took on Saturday ~


A single bloom for a single day on my hibiscus, which hasn't bloomed since December 2009 ~

1 comment:

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

That hibiscus bloom was lovely to see amid the pictures of the fallen trees. Sharon, I'm glad you're okay and that you have family with you right now. I hope your power is restored soon.