Monday, August 22, 2011

A Dedicated Post

With my daughter's help I started this blog exactly three years and five months ago.

This is post number five hundred. That's five zero zero.

I had no idea. I don't keep track and know this tidbit only because I was in the edit room knocking about and checking the shelves to see if there was anything to recycle. I have been in clean-it-up and clear-it-out mode for weeks now. All my drawers are organized, and my closets look more like closets and less like fully stocked storage units.

I knew little about blogging when I started this gig. My daughter followed blogs as a college student and started one as a med student, when there were no handy dandy templates and she had to figure out how to write code to get what she wrote to show up on the interwebs. Over time I gained a basic understanding of what a blog was and figured out how to follow her online journal.

In the spring of 2008 I wanted to touch base with friends and family more often than I was. My daughter encouraged me to start a blog and I kept saying no, until she sat me down one day and took me through the process step by step.

This endeavor has been moderately successful as a way to keep in touch with old friends and minimally successful as a way to let family know what I'm up to. However, blogging has been a huge success as a way to connect with other women. Many of you have become good friends and I am grateful to know you.

And I owe it all to my daughter. I couldn't have done it without you, K. Thank you for your patience and encouragement. While I had no idea, you knew it all along.

Here's to the next 500 ~

5 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so happy that we have connected Sharon...hooray for blogging and the very real friendships they open us up to!

Helen said...

Kudos to K for getting you started!

I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your wonderful photographs. I like to start my day with checking email and reading your blog. Makes me feel connected and informed about those I care about.

Looking forward to your next 500 posts! : )

Anonymous said...

I am a blog "lurker". I do keep you on my bookmark list and check in once a week or so to see what is new. Many of the things you write I can relate to. I am out here listening and want you to know that you are being heard. Thanks for sharing.

cindy said...

Wow! Happy 500th post. And my son is the person who told me I should write a blog and then promptly set one up and showed me some basic HTML. I wonder how many moms blog because their kids told them they should?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Congratulations...
I know I started online about
4 years ago.
Just a thought and did it.
Help from my daughter as I struggled in the beginning and still do :)