Tuesday, June 12, 2012

All I Ever Wanted

I got home from Seattle last night, tired but happy.

I was back at school today, where things went fine in my absence. I tied up all loose ends before I left for Seattle, so all that's left is a day and a half with students and finishing up end of the year paperwork, inventory, and room cleaning. When I walk out of the building Thursday afternoon I will be ready to start my summer!

The weekend in Seattle was a gift... time with my son and the chance for him to show me the city where he has made his home. He packed two bags, moved across the country, and earned a graduate degree all on his own.

I could not be more proud.

Tonight I am savoring the memories.

The graduation ceremony on Sunday was held in a hall that used to be a church. I sat there marveling at the stained glass windows, content and totally present in the moment. I thought, this is all I ever wanted, for my children to follow their dreams. I thought, this is all I hoped for, that my children be happy, healthy, and independent.

Gratitude filled my heart.

I have everything I ever wanted.

4 comments:

cindy said...

It's so cool that both of our sons live in Seattle, that they both went west to grad school. And I'm happy for you that you were able to fit this visit in...and only a few more days of school:)Cherry on top of the ice cream!

Helen said...

Children grow. So do parents. Perhaps what our adult children want most from us is our presence.

Savoring the moment with you my friend! Looking forward to photos.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

heartwarming post.
yes, as mother's and then grandmother's we want our children to find their way and be happy.
I smile for you...

teri said...

This is the ultimate blessing, to see our children healthy, and in their moments of being happy. A mother's heart can be filled to brimming at times like that. I am so glad you were there. I wonder what you have planned for the summer!?