Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August Has Arrived

One week in and already enough has happened to call this month a success.

My youngest was home this past week. I got a surprise phone call August 1 from Travis that he was flying home from Seattle the next day. There was a job he wanted to check out in Portland [after our trip west I had to confirm that he meant Portland, Maine]. He landed at 9:30 Thursday morning for an interview at 11:00.

We had just seen him I know, but it has still been so good to have him home.

The job is not the right one, but the time was well spent visiting with us and friends and getting a chance to watch some of the Olympics.

When Trav called to say he was coming home, I was still trying to catch my breath from being gone for four days.

I met a dear friend in Boston the last weekend in July so we could celebrate our birthdays. We have been trying to plan such a trip, she from New Mexico and me from Maine, for over a year. It took some work but we did it, and it was so worth the effort. We talked and walked and talked some more. Phone calls and emails are good for what they are, but they do not replace time together in person. She and I have been friends for more than 40 years. After this visit we have made a commitment to more regular visits in interesting places around the country. Seattle is already on the list:)

More friends to catch up with this week and next. This is the month to do it, especially with friends who are teachers. This fall I may be back in the classroom, too, so I want to take advantage of what's left of August.

I feel compelled to connect with people this summer. Time goes by and it's easy to get waylaid by the day to day details of appointments, paperwork, errands, and chores. There is dust on every surface in my house and the yard has been sadly ignored for months. Those things will wait.

I would rather spend time with friends ~

4 comments:

starrlife said...

see you soon.

Things that make me happy said...

Sharon, Thanks for connecting with me by leaving the nice comment. I am happy to read that you've had a lovely summer, and that you were able to connect with a longtime friend. There is nothing like a lifelong friendship, for sure! So glad you had the time before the school year starts. I apologize for not stopping by your blog (or Starrlife's) as often this summer. With my mom's surgery, the wedding, etc, it's been quite a summer.

mermaid said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you got to see Travis again and your friend of 40 years.

Helen said...

“The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers & cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, & who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Enjoy time with friends!