Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Loose Ends

Feeling at loose ends.

Tying up loose ends.

In this third week of August both are true. I have no fewer than half a dozen projects in different stages of completion around the house as I spend time with family and friends and begin again to apply for teaching jobs.

Everything I go to do takes multiple steps to finish.

It took three weeks to receive both stereo speakers from Newegg. Great product but mediocre customer service and a frustrating return policy when the error is theirs.

The new dehumidifier has been timely during weeks of high humidity because it actually removes moisture from the air. It was indispensable when I had to coat with oil-based paint a rusting vent in my six year-old dryer, which I remembered after vacation when I dried a white sheet.... The directions called for 24 hours drying time between each of four coats.

Two weeks ago a storage shelf fell off our closet wall. We heard a thunderous crash and thought a tree had fallen across the deck. It wasn't that thank goodness, but a unit with two shelves and a short bar for hangers had fallen to the floor. It was amazing that nothing was broken or damaged. As I picked up the pile of clothes I realized I expected this small unit to hold too much weight. I have repaired the wall and Ken has reinforced the shelf, which we will hang up this weekend.

We had hot, dry weather in early July. Plants went dormant, and my lush flower beds from last year were nowhere to be seen. In late July the rain started and has continued on a regular basis, often in the company of thunder, lightning, and rain so heavy drivers can barely see the road ahead. Maine is one of two states in the country that have had a normal amount of rainfall this summer. The hostas recovered and bloomed, but for the first time ever deer have feasted on my hostas and left leafless stalks in their wake.

I had 276 prints made of photos taken over the past year. It was fun to look through all the photos on the computer and select representative pics. It took time to order prints online, but the reward of memories in hand was worth it. I am midway through updating albums and scrapbooks.

I have another teacher application packet ready to mail today. While I don't know what I will be doing this fall, I know I will be working somewhere.

In the past I did not like the feeling the week before school started because it felt like summer was ending too soon and there was still so much to do.

At this point in my life, I know that there will always be much to do ~ appliances break down, metal rusts, shelves fall off walls, and cars need to be replaced.

I also know that there is always time for friends and family.

Life doesn't stop when I return to work. Life happens through all my best laid plans just the way it is supposed to.

Onward....

3 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

You have to re-apply for teaching positions, each year? Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something great.

mermaid said...

'Life doesn't stop when I return to work. Life happens through all my best laid plans just the way it is supposed to.'

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Packing has been a little crazy and chaotic. I can't stop my other commitments in life.

Life happens, and I, like you and billions of people around the world, will try and make the best of things.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your last paragraphs
say it all
:)