Saturday, August 4, 2012

Seattle In July

The skyline of Seattle was an impressive as I remembered ~
We arranged to meet Travis on the campus of University of Washington. I wanted to see the inside of the Suzzallo Library ~
Specifically the reading room, which was breath-taking ~
I wanted Ken to see the campus as a backdrop for Drumheller Fountain ~
Travis took us to see the skyline from Lake Union ~
We checked into the Moore Hotel on 2nd Avenue and spent the evening getting to know the neighborhood ~
Friday morning we started with coffee and pastries at Moore Coffee, easily accessible through the lobby of the hotel and with the best coffee we had anywhere in Seattle ~
The clouds did not hamper the view of the waterfront ~
It was early enough at Pike Place Market that we could actually see the extent of the vegetable stands ~
And the vibrant array of flowers for sale ~We walked along Elliott Bay away from the city to Olympic Sculpture Park, built on a brownfield site reclaimed, cleaned up, and developed into green space for people to enjoy ~
Sculptures are scattered on green lawn and amidst wildflowers ~Trains pass one way ~While cars pass another ~ The next morning we headed over to the Space Needle in the fog ~ Seattle Center also holds International Fountain ~A pavilion where Bastille Day was celebrated, complete with a line of antique French cars ~And a monorail terminal, from which I caught of glimpse of the new exhibit of Chihuly glass ~
Saturday afternoon we took a bus to the Chittenden Locks, one of two places in the world where boats pass safely between fresh water and salt water ~And where Bastille Day celebrations continued with music by the Greenwood Concert Band and patriotic songs sung by a local television celebrity ~We watched boats head for the open sea and marvelled at all the city of Seattle holds ~Seattle has become one of my favorite places. I have more photos to share in coming days, images that come to mind when I think of this city I am just getting to know ~

2 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Wow, you really got around! I used to visit Seattle regularly, but I never saw the inside of the University Library. Very impressive.

mermaid said...

Thanks for taking me there with you. I feel like I just had a mini vacation. You sound alive and happy!