Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Intermittent Connections

In my house, the problems with technology abound.

Every day I depend on my computers for entertainment, news, weather, communication with family and friends, and overall connection with the outside world.  Currently I need access to the "Serving Schools" website because that is where all job openings in schools are posted, the only place where every teacher position is advertised and links to school websites provide access to applications.

Not to mention that my resume and cover letters are saved on my laptop and desktop.  I can't easily explain why some documents are in one place and others are in another.  It depends on where they were composed and saved and whether or not they were emailed to be saved or printed elsewhere.

It has become obvious that I need to do a bit of organizing when things are working again, I say with certainty that things will be working again.

The problems started last Wednesday when I couldn't get the laptop to connect to the Internet.  I tried everything to no avail.  On Thursday my daughter installed and ran "spybot," which found and fixed 31 of 33 malware incidents.  The problem must be in one of the two not erased because the laptop sometimes connects to the Internet...and sometimes it doesn't.

We decided that I would take it into the shop.  There was no urgency because I could use the desktop, right?  True...until Saturday morning when the desktop would not connect to the Internet.  The icons showed connection to the router but no connection to the modem, which I knew wasn't true because the laptop sometimes connects and (knock on wood) the iPad connects.  I had had a lengthy conversation with our phone company/DSL provider when the laptop stopped connecting, and everything is working on their end.

So I am limping along technologically speaking.  I took the desktop into the shop Monday morning.  Today I managed to get the laptop hooked up with the printer so I could complete a third application and get it in the mail.  I have had no response to the first two I mailed so I need to stay on top of this.  Two more applications to print out, complete, and mail tomorrow.

Tonight I am trying to make friends with the iPad, and hopefully this post will appear the way I have composed it.  I have my doubts.

I miss my regular computer routine.  

3 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Our internet connection is going to change dramatically, and not for the better, when we move next month. I'm not looking forward to the imposed time constraints and expense that are in my future. Perhaps it will make me more efficient when I'm on-line. Let's hope so.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I have to use an aircard here in the country. Other then writing to stay connected to family and my camera involvement there is not much else I know about the computer world.
Good luck...

Things that make me happy said...

Sharon, I don't know what to do when my computer/technology doesn't work. And I am amazed at how, in recent years, we have all come to rely so heavily on all of these devices. It boggles the mind ... We often have power outages in the summer, due to storms, and I go out of my mind without my computer.

Now that our son lives out of state in Chicago, we have to rely on the folks at the Apple store to set things right when our devices don't work. Sounds like you have a better grasp on the whole thing than I do!