Monday, September 22, 2008

Keep, Store, or Sell?

By the end of the first evening in Maryland, we knew that the refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove, and dishwasher were all in working order. This is good news in a house that has been mostly vacant for five years.

Tuesday evening my sister came to the rescue with her French press, fresh coffee beans, and grinder - we would have coffee the next morning. My sister was recently married and is preparing to move to Scotland as soon as she gets her townhouse on the market. She and my mom started to talk about the possibility of renting a truck to take the things they would most like to keep to a storage unit in West Virginia.

Wednesday was a busy day. By 9:00 a.m. the old boiler was on its way out and the yard was getting a once-over. By mid-day there were four men in the house installing the new boiler, and the man in the yard was cutting back overgrown bushes.

In the midst of all the activity, Mom and I started packing glassware and dishes - some for storage, some for family, and some for sale. At one point I was filling four different boxes. We had to start somewhere, so we started with one piece at a time. When we finished with the china hutch, we started with the contents of the kitchen cupboards. We didn't get it all packed up, but we made a dent.

As the day went on, we talked with my sister and my brothers. I was going to get to see everyone on this trip! My youngest brother and sister-in-law, as well as my sister, came for a visit Wednesday evening. My younger brother and sister-in-law were able to come by Thursday morning. We had a chance to talk about the state of the house and consider what might happen next. We were all relieved that nothing more serious that a leaking boiler had surfaced; I was especially grateful that we found the problem before the first cold snap.

During this short trip, my mother once again began to think about selling the house. The man who did the yardwork keeps tabs on the houses for sale in the community, and he had referred my mom to a realtor several months ago. She said she plans to contact him again....

When we closed up the house on Thursday, we felt good about all we had accomplished on this short trip. My mom is making plans to return, possibly with her brother-in-law who wants some of the furniture. Mom made arrangements to have the yard maintained through the fall. Then she'll see where things stand.

Thursday afternoon we drove the 155 miles back to West Virginia. Mom took with her a collection of depression glass, a few precious knickknacks, and a small knickknack cabinet.

Mom, Ken, and I went to a dinner at a local restaurant in her small town. We had a chance to talk about all that had happened since Tuesday. She thanked us for coming and for helping her out with the house. We talked briefly about the options she has. I shared that I think she and I and my siblings are in different places in this process of letting go of the house. In the end, the only thing that matters is what my mom wants. I told her again that I will do anything I can to help. She knows that.

For me, the process is ongoing. More thoughts to share later....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having a great week with your mom in both her new and old neighborhoods. Know you must feel good about the way everything turned out—and you should! Sometimes all we can do is to be available and roll up our sleeves when asked. I'm sure it's comforting to your mom to know that you (and Ken) support her while she processes what to do next.

Anonymous said...

Whew! You accomplished alot!Sounds like it all went really well, pat yourself on the back for a transition well done.