Friday, September 5, 2008

Let the Connections Continue

Yesterday I needed to buy fabric. No, really, I had to go into a fabric store, touch everything that was 100% cotton, imagine how each pattern would look as bias tape, and decide which ones I wanted to take home with me.

Yes, I need to make bias tape. I need fabric that will make unique edging for an IntiMat® because last week I met a woman who is interested in carrying them in her store. This is a first!

It all started when I took an IntiMat® with me to Portland to show the owner of the store that is planning to close. I wanted her opinion. She said it was lovely. Then she said there was a shop around the corner that may be interested, so around the corner I went. The owner was in the shop and liked the idea of the IntiMat® as a soft towel, especially for babies. She asked if I could do another type of edging. I said sure! We discussed fabrics and colors. Our plan is to meet the third week in September.

In the meantime I have work to do. For now I will make up a sample or two, and I will take the others to show the range of possibilities. A friend who lives in the Southwest is looking for interesting fabric from that part of the country.

My favorite part of this whole story is how I found the first store on the recommendation of my daughter and the second store on the recommendation of the first store owner. Connections. Personal contact. Two things that are hard to find when working alone, while they are essential in business, and in life.

No comments: