Friday, September 12, 2008

Life's a Bloom

The hibiscus plant that I cut back in February and repotted in May has decided it's time to bloom in a big way. The first bud opened this week, and there are 14 more in various stages of readiness to open and grace our presence. This plant has never looked so healthy.

I think the hibiscus is confused because autumn has also graced our presence this week. Temperatures at night have dropped to the low 40's and there have been warnings of frost up north, which means the rest of the state isn't far behind. Leaves are changing color. The days are noticably cooler and shorter.

So why bloom now? I have watered and fed and encouraged this plant all summer. I moved it out of harm's way when torrential rains or blazing sunshine threatened. Single blooms were few and far between, and I thought maybe the hibiscus was tapped out, past its prime, and ready for retirement.

Then, enmasse, buds began to appear, sending me the message that the plant is not finished with living, has not given up, and will continue to grow and prosper. To drive home the point the leaves are bigger and shinier than they've ever been. I don't remember when the plant has had this many buds at one time.

Blooming takes care and feeding, time and encouragement. Putting your color out there means taking risks and making an occasional false start. Coming into full growth requires help from others and a willingness to hang in there even when it looks like not much is happening.

I am going to take this lesson from my hibiscus: The journey is not easy, but the rewards are worth the work.

2 comments:

Only the Half of It said...

Thank you for stopping by! Love this post about your hibiscus. Plants, animals, nature - they teach us the best lesson if we are willing to heed them.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a great metaphor for late-bloomers? I'm inspired. If your plant can do it, so can we!