Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Favorite Kind of Saturday

There was a relaxed start to the day with a leisurely breakfast of cereal and coffee, followed by reading the newspaper and my favorite blogs; today's laundry was started and yesterday's was folded and put away; took care of paperwork; ran into town to visit the ATM and take a walk; got home to start ham for dinner and blueberry crisp for dessert; prepared to top off the day with a DVD. Now that's my idea of a perfect Saturday in September.

Last night Ken and I had a night "out." We started at the Portland Museum of Art, which has free admission Friday evenings from 5-9. This is the last week-end for an exhibit of photographs of Georgia O'Keefe and her home in New Mexico. The gallery was crowded but it was worth the effort to see the unique collection and get a feel for O'Keefe's life in the desert.

Afterward we went to dinner at a restaurant we've wanted to try for some time. I made reservations the last time I was in Portland because I had a feeling I would have something to celebrate. Well, having a store interested in carrying my product is something to celebrate. Dinner was excellent - we each had the mixed grill of tenderloin, scallops, and shrimp. We shared lemon creme brulee for dessert, and I had one delicious cup of coffee.

I mentioned to Ken earlier in the evening that we may be able to catch a movie, and he was game. We caught the last show of Vicki Cristina Barcelona, Woody Allen's latest. It was typical Woody Allen with a Spanish flavor. We were able to see it in an intown independent theater, no glitz or blaring commercials but some fun previews.

This evening the rain is coming down in sheets, providing a loud backdrop through open windows. It's time for dessert and a movie, The Natural on DVD. Ken rarely requests a movie from Netflix but something reminded him of this Robert Redford classic, so I moved it to the top of our queue. For those of us without cable, satellite, or a local video store/library for rentals, Netflix is priceless. And that blueberry crisp should be just the right temperature....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Previews are sometimes the best part of the moviegoing experience. There is an indie theater in Edmonton that we have been to but for the most part it's dvd's for us.