Thursday, February 26, 2009

Okay, Okay, I Get It

Alright already. Message received.

Earlier this evening I was thinking about myself and others I know who find ourselves in a time of transition, facing change and challenging situations. I have been re-reading favorite resources. What was "Greek to me" months ago now makes total sense, and there are emerging themes. Over and over again I read exactly the thing I most need to hear at just the right moment.

A couple hours ago I wondered how a person makes peace with a situation that seems impossible, no answer in sight. I picked up my copy of Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth and opened it to a random page. Page 188. This is what I had underlined: "You would immediately accept the situation and thus become one with it rather than separate yourself from it. Then out of your alertness would come a response." Hmmm. Total acceptance brings peace.

A few minutes ago I tried it again ~ picked up the same book and opened it to another random page. This time it was page 238. This is what I had underlined and starred: "Thus you become one with the situation. When instead of reacting against a situation, you merge with it, the solution arises out of the situation itself. Actually, it is not you, the person who is looking and listening, but the alert stillness itself. Then, if action is possible or necessary, you take action or rather right action happens through you." Hmmm. It's not up to me to solve anything. My task is to be still and wait.

Well, that's as close to be being hit over the head as I want to get. I will try to still my mind and let go of my need to have an answer. I will wait. I will try to be patient.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There will be an answer: Let it be."

CaShThoMa said...

Tolle's words get my attention too; when I bother to listen that is.....

I think he's absolutely right. Yesterday I sat in the midst of incredible challenge not knowing what I could possibly do to "fix" anything; I ended up accepting the situation (albeit reluctantly) and out of that place came solutions today....progress that evolved almost effortlessly.

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Geesh-right in the face! What else is there to do? You are preparing yourself, have done all of the ground work... just toss yourself out into the universe and see what happens? Radical acceptance is a powerful concept- most folks worry about passivity but it is really so dynamic!Good job Sharon!

Joanne said...

I've found in a recent situation that if I don't resist, but just accept and let be what will be, that my life actually continued on as it had, smoothly. Sometimes it's the worry that stops us, not even the actions.

Sydney said...

OK, so after my post today, I will think about becoming one with my situation and seeing if my alertness to it will point the way. I am working on acceptance, but when I know that there are places I'd be happier living, it's difficult. Yet, every morning I can at least practice accepting for TODAY. And that may be the key. (as NOW is all we have, right?)

Anonymous said...

The universe is smacking people upside the head in the blogosphere lately it seems.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
I just love when this experience happens, as you so aptly describe. In that, the Universe is so much more patient with us than we are with ourselves, eh? May you continue to unfold into the next version of you with grace, patience, and much, much self-love and appreciation!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Sharon, and thanks, Kitty, for that wonderful reminder from the Beatles. I needed that, myself.