Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ah, February

I am glad February is here. It's arrival means that January is over.

I celebrate my survival of January. It's no small task, what with its thirty-one days of winter. January is a long, cold, snow-filled month. Throw in the occasional ice storm, and most years January wins the dubious award of most wintry month.

Not that February isn't full of winter weather. It is. It's also the bridge month between January and March, the month shown on the calendar to hold the first day of spring.

February has many things going for it. For three of every four years, it is twenty-eight days long; I like a month that can be divided into an exact number of weeks. For the shortest month, there's a lot going on ~ the Super Bowl, Valentine's Day, Presidents' Day, the Academy Awards, and birthday celebrations.

When February arrives, I breathe a sigh of relief. The days are getting longer. While I am still knee-deep in snow, I can see the light change. I can feel my spirits lift.

Ah, February has arrived.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

February is the first step towards warmer weather, and it's a really short month so March is right on its heels. What's not to love about this month?

CaShThoMa said...

I'm with you 100 percent! So glad to say goodbye to January and hello to February....

I'm sitting here eating cinnamon flavored gummy hearts and thinking of all the special days this month as well.

Only the Half of It said...

Yes, thank goodness for the Oscars! And of course Valentine's Day. I've definitely noticed the days are longer.... I'm not sure I'm ready to come out of hibernation, though.

Anonymous said...

Yes, once February is here, we know that we're over the hump with winter weather. In Michigan, this year has broken the record for snowfall so far. So it's nice to contemplate warmer weather in February, along with the Grammys and Oscars and Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do feel as if I've been hibernating for the past couple of months. And I celebrated February 1st by starting to plan my garden. I'm going to have morning glories wrapping around my front deck this summer. :D

Anonymous said...

That's funny 'cause I hate February the most. It feels like the longest month to me and I get wicked cabin fever, snow sick. I've always been one to do well in the middle of a process and, as I get close to the finish (spring) I start to falter and long for it so much that I get depressed!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Oh, yes, February is good. Just feeling more light in the day is such a boon to the spirit. Glad you are feeling buoyant. Me too. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I tend to get more blue in February. Maybe because winter has gone on long enough. (I just posted a new blog about this, before reading yours.) In Michigan, March is a long month, usually with one teaser of a spring day followed by a major snowstorm. So I'm still bracing myself ...