Monday, April 27, 2009

25 Signatures

Two and a half weeks ago Punditmom wrote a post about how the time has come for more women to get involved in politics at all levels. I wondered how to make that happen.

I need to be more careful about the questions I ask.

One week later I got a phone call from a neighbor who asked me to think about running for our town's select board, which is similar to a town council. There are three people on the board who serve for three-year terms. The person whose term is up this year decided not to run again. No one had taken out papers to collect signatures to get on the ballot, with only ten days to go to the filing deadline. I told my neighbor I would think about it.

I thought long and hard. I never intended to run for office. I would like to get to know more of my neighbors and learn more about my town. I have the time and energy for public service. I decided some time ago that, whenever possible, I will say yes when opportunities present themselves.

I didn't have one good reason to say no. I went to town hall and got the necessary papers, and my neighbor helped me collect the 25 signatures needed. I filed the papers with the town clerk, and on June 9 my name will appear on the ballot. I am running unopposed, so chances are good I will win.

This wasn't the job I was looking for, and I'm still looking for gainful employment. Whatever happens, this will be an experience. If nothing else, I will learn about town government. I also hope to learn how to not take things so personally. Who knows what comes next....

5 comments:

Joanne said...

What a great opportunity for you! It seems like a wonderful way to get to know your town, and the type of position that might open other doors, make other connections. Best wishes on voting day!!

Kitty said...

You go, girl. Isn't life fascinating?

Anonymous said...

Wow -- that's wonderful, and I agree that it's a great opportunity for you, too. I wish you lots of luck and hope you enjoy the experience, too.

CaShThoMa said...

The opportunity appeared for a good reason; glad you said YES!

cindyscoffeehouse said...

Sharon, that is wonderful! I admire your spirit. Obviously, people in the town see that you have a lot to offer. Go for it! And Good Luck!