Friday, May 1, 2009

Daffodils

When we bought our house two years ago, the man who built the house asked me if I had seen the flowers in the yard. He was very proud of the daffodil and tulip bulbs he had planted. The daffodils sit along a rock wall near the edge of the property ~

and are hard to see from any distance~
although they are beautiful up close ~
Yesterday I cleaned out the area near the front steps. There is a rhododendron bush that doesn't bloom, tulip leaves without buds, and lupin that did bloom last year. Leo is checking out all the earthy smells ~

I woke up this morning thinking about all the work that needs to be done on our property, which can hardly be called a yard at this point. When I read the posts of women who have beautiful gardens I wish I was there already. Last night I asked Ken if we can spend Saturday working to clear away more fallen limbs and brush. He sighed and said yes. It is a huge job, and it feels overwhelming. We need to break it into what we can do one day at a time. Somewhere down the line we will begin to see improvement. When Ken came home last evening he noticed that I had raked a section near the driveway and front stairs. That's a start.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Leo looks pretty happy outside - is he still staying close?

Joanne said...

Oh I feel your pain! Our yard was such a mess when we moved here a few years back. We had several trees and stumps removed, an above ground pool removed, I don't know how many yards of topsoil brought in to sustain a lawn. That whole (hot) summer our yard was a dirt desert and I wondered what the heck we got ourselves into. Two years ago we ripped out all the shrubs in front and relandscaped with new ones and mulch. Finally, finally, the property is starting to maintain itself! Except now we need siding and a roof :) Sometimes you just have to put that smiley face in there!

Anonymous said...

Just one square foot at a time Sharon! It's more fun to do it that way. Maybe a kitchen garden?

Anonymous said...

As much as I love spring, it really does make more work for us, doesn't it? But I admire your natural setting, and the photos of the daffodils make me smile.

Last month, I was griping about the long winter, and now that spring is here, I am complaining about the chores ahead, and all the yardwork. And I'm an avid gardener!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
I shared the same sentiment as you about the overwhelm of spring..I have a tendency to think I must do everything myself (I am recovering from that :-). Fortunately, today, my beloved dug in and now things are looking much brighter.

I wrote a magazine column last year for spring all about getting rid of the "shoulds". I was just remembering today that my spring "pattern" is to get overrun by shoulds. I am happy to say that this year my bout was not as bad as last...I am growing, like those lovely daffodils you photographed. I just found 2 big bunches in our back 40, left here from the previous owner. Lovely! (Tomorrow I am posting something on daffodils. Stop by. :-) )

Just breathe...

Kitty said...

Oh, I love daffodils. They make me smile.

And seems like I've been working forever on cleaning up my yard after this past winter.