Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 5 In The Hospital

We are in the hospital where my daughter was born in 1979. The residents of the Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency, like my daughter, are doctors here. Ken has been seen by many of the doctors who work with our daughter, which has made this experience so much easier. I never doubted that Ken would get the care he needed...

and still needs. Yesterday he was determined that he was going home. His oxygen level on room air was 88, while the goal is to get it to the high 90's. He took a walk in the hallway outside his room, while on oxygen, and I could see how tired he was. Still, he made it clear he was ready to go home.

Then Dr. G. spoke with Ken. She is one of the doctors who examined him the first day and decided to admit him to the hospital. She explained that he still needs to take in large quantities of fluids, which is why he is still on an IV, and that she wanted him to get at least one more dose of IV antibiotics. He said he would think about what she said.

Ken did not have a good night the night before, when I went home to sleep. That morning the nurse found him sitting in the recliner at 4:30 a.m., waiting for me.

So I made a deal with him: I would bring his clothes to the hospital and stay overnight so he would be ready to go when the doctors decided he could go home. He agreed.

Yesterday afternoon Ken spiked another fever, and his fever was up and down all last night.

The good news is that his regular blood work is just about normal.

This morning the not so good news is that he still has a fever and his oxygen level, while he is receiving oxygen, is not as high as they would like to see it.

There is still an infection somewhere. More lab work will be done and another chest x-ray will be taken.

Ken will not be going home today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how terrible! hang in there Sharon! I'll be thinking about you and your family and hoping for the best, sending all the good vibes I can muster your way!

helen said...

It's difficult to be a patient when recovery is not speeding along as desired. And it's difficult to be the care giver standing by. Continued good thoughts going your way my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Illness lingering is so stressful for patient and loved ones. I hope they pinpoint the reason soon.

jd881 said...

Thanks for the updates. Glad his blood work looks good. Sorry he has to be in the hospital. I'm sure it isn't as comfortable as home, but I'm glad that he is getting the care that he needs.

Joanne said...

Oh I'm sorry to read this today, but he is in the very best place to be while he is this sick. Your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

CaShThoMa said...

My thoughts are with you and your husband; sorry that he still needs to be hospitalized but sounds like he is getting excellent care.

Kristen said...

any new news from tonight?

mermaid said...

It is so hard to be in the hospital. You are doing all you can to let Ken know he will be home shortly. May the powers of healing visit you both daily till you are able to bring Ken home.

Kitty said...

I'm keeping you and Ken in my thoughts.