Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Un-Do-Ing

In an effort to continue to simplify my already simple life, I am going to un-do my hair color. Right now it's three shades of brunette, and the gray roots add an unglamorous stripe at the part and crown. I cancelled my appointment two weeks ago because Ken was in the hospital, and I haven't rescheduled because I didn't want to spend an hour in the chair making small talk about "what's new."

The only thing Ken has wanted to do since he got out of the hospital is get his hair cut, which was overdue three weeks ago. I made him an appointment today in the same shop I frequent. While we were there I asked my stylist about getting me out of the mess my hair is in. She recommended I wait another couple weeks, until more gray is showing. I am unclear about why...but I don't have to be anywhere that matters so I guess it doesn't....

Well, that's honest.

Three words came to me a month ago: honesty, surrender, simplicity.

I couldn't sleep last night and was up at 2 a.m. writing in my journal. The gist of it was that I surrender. I. Give. Up. It doesn't matter what I do or how hard I try. Things are not coming together. I can't get anything to work.

For months I was reflective, patient, and present. I was cautiously active when it felt like action was called for. I waited and waited and waited...for a sign, for the right "something" to come along.

Then: Ken gets seriously ill and my oldest son moves far away.

Oh, and I got lost on my way to a second job interview. I left from the hospital instead of from home, and I had to make a connection to a main road in a city I rarely visit. The name of the building and the street number faced a street other than the street name I was given, so after circling the block of one-way streets I pulled over and called for directions. I arrived 20 minutes late. The meeting ended with the compliment that I was able to settle myself and proceed with the interview. When I got home there was a phone message from that morning about the interview; everyone was assembled and they wanted me to interview two hours earlier than originally planned.

That was twelve days ago and I haven't heard a word. I didn't get any kind of acknowledgment for the "thank you" I emailed after the interview. I think chances are excellent that I didn't get the job.

I feel undone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs and more hugs. It is hard work and full of setbacks to look for work. Once it took me 6 months to get a job and that was after years of experience in the field! It's so hard to keep up our spirits- perhaps letting go will help- it often does. What kind of a place re-schedules an interview the same am? That is bogus.
As for the hair, what about a temporary rinse, OTC? They usually wash out in 3 weeks or so- might be good for transition. Know anyone that can help you that has some informal experience? I will be in Maine (Brunswick area) in about 3 weeks. Hope that we can get together?

mermaid said...

It sounds like you are having a hard time. I don't want to try and give advice here. With your permission (unspoken), I'll just share part of my own process.

I imagine another being in my image in the water, a mermaid. Another is on land in a Victorian white dress. Another flies in the sky with angel wings. I see them and tell them I am having a hard time. They nod in agreement and we don't try to change anything. Instead, we try to muster up all the compassion in our collective hearts. They remind me to try to be kind and gentle with myself.

I hope that you can hold yourself this way and know that your own guardians are holding your suffering with you.

Joanne said...

Sharon, I agree with starrlife about rescheduling the interview the same day. That didn't seem too courteous. And certainly they'd understand getting lost coming from the hospital? Well, I'm sorry anyway that it didn't go your way.

About the hair, we want your "mane" life to be great too. I think they sell root touch-up kits, you can pick them up in the hair products aisle at grocery and drugstores. Maybe this would help your transition?

You've been through so much in such a short period of time. Get plenty of rest, and give yourself some time. Sending best wishes and more summer sunshine your way!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Honesty. Surrender. Simplicity.

I love it. That's as close to perfection as it can get, I think.

I wouldn't worry about the job interview. If it were me, I would consider it a success that I was able to switch and show up for the interview, in every respect. The thank you was a show of class. I'll bet they didn't receive many of those, even from those who showed up on time and didn't just come from the hospital where there husband was recuperating.

So, give yourself a pat on the back. You're doing great and the right job will make itself known at the right time.

Thank you so much for stopping by my place and leaving such lovely notes.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
The tender and vulnerable place you are in touches my heart. What comes to me is this: You have been through so much, so much change, and disappointment. It seems to me it is not about pushing through but surrendering as you say, but that does not mean giving up. There is a very big difference. Surrender means giving up control and turning it over to God, or the bigger picture, or a grander plan which we certainly can't get a handle on when we are in the thick of it!.

It seems like this may be a time to continue to be gentle with yourself and Ken, as life has handed you some very big lessons, most of which cannot possibly be clarified until you are calm, rested, and open....

Sending hugs of support. Believe, breathe, and be well.

Cindy H said...

Sharon, I agree with Jan. I think you've been through a lot lately. And surrender isn't the same as giving up. You can control only what you can control. The rest is up to God.

Whatever you decide about your hair, you can always change your mind later, which is one thing I so like about changing something about my hair.

Just take good care of yourself right now.