Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Not To Worry

When the doctor called this afternoon with the results of Ken's lab work and chest x-ray she said to me, "Sharon, do not worry," and suggested I get some sleep. Then Ken and I took a two-hour nap.

The news was good. There is no sign of an infection. The pneumonia looked a bit better to the doctor, and we will know more details once the radiologist reads the x-ray. The doctor today said our primary physician may want to order more tests on Thursday, but for now we are not to worry. Ken can take Tylenol if the fever persists.

Today was the first time I have felt relieved after one of Ken's doctor visits. I have been on "screech" for weeks, as if my vigilance could somehow protect him.

I didn't expect that we would have to deal with any health issue this serious for many years, say until we were 75 or 80. This dose of reality makes it clear that there are some things we cannot plan for, no matter how well we take care of ourselves. There are some things we cannot predict, no matter how much information we have.

That's a lot to think about. For now I will try not to worry.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

It sounds like the doctor's "orders" - not to worry - helped you hit the worry off-button. Sometimes I manage to consciously think of it as a button (or a switch I need to flip) so that I can shut down the worry/stress/anxiety - if only for a little while.

I hope more restful naps are in your (and Ken's!) future. So glad to hear the update with good news from the doc.

Anonymous said...

Reality calling is quite the wake up, I know.

I have been down the road of thinking I could will everyone safe. It's exhausting on too many levels to do for very long and pointless besides.

I am glad to hear that Ken is fine and that you both napped. Nap more and don't worry unless told to.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

These are wise words, Sharon. We just never know...and can never plan. I'm using a mug these days that says, "Smile today. Life is not a dress rehearsel." Certainly reminds me to be well with what is and enjoy and appreciate what I can. I know that you and Ken will appreciate each other so much more too after this episode of your lives. Be well!

Anonymous said...

It is exhausting isn't it? I know that "screech" button!