Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hospital: Day 3

It helps to know people are pulling for us.

Ken is steadily improving. His lab work was better today than yesterday. His chest x-ray was no worse than yesterday, which is what they told us to expect; once they started pushing IV fluids the doctors predicted they would see more congestion in his left lung, but that is now stable.

This afternoon Ken was taken off the monitors for his oxygen, respiration, and heart rates, pulse, and blood pressure. That gives him more mobility. He is still on oxygen and IV fluids, and he will receive IV antibiotics for another day or two. We may take a walk outside the room tomorrow. Now that they will check his vital signs every four hours, instead of every hour, he may be moved to a room on the floor depending on availability.

Ken was dehydrated so the idea was to push fluids, which means he was up and down all night to go to the bathroom. They IV is now running at half the rate, so hopefully he will be able to get some solid hours of sleep tonight.

I came home to sleep because I need to be able to put together two sentences that make sense. My second job interview is tomorrow afternoon, and I'm going because it would be difficult to gather the same group of people together again.

I have some things to share about what I have learned about pneumonia and taking care of ourselves in middle age. There will be time for that. Right now I'm going to bed.

Good night.

7 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Glad to know Ken is improving every day. Scary to get sick so fast, isn't it? I hope you are getting the rest you need to nurse him back to good health once he gets home.

Anonymous said...

Such good news- thanks for thinking of us, I was wondering! Get some good rest, you deserve it! ANd good luck on the second interview!

jd881 said...

Nice to know Ken's health is looking up. Thanks for letting us know. Sorry everything happens at once. Good luck on the interview, too.

Joanne said...

Glad Ken is on the mend, affording you hopefully a little peace of mind. Rest, rest, so important! Best wishes on the interview, hope your husband is home soon.

Anonymous said...

This is ggod news. I hope you got some rest. It's important to remember not to overtax yourself too.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
Holding you and Ken in heart, thought, and prayer. Such a challenging time, but great news he is improving. Rest is important for you too,--sacred rest, I call it. :-) May you both believe, breathe, and be well!

Kitty said...

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear what you and Ken have been going through this week. (I was offline for a few days and am just now checking in.)

As the others said, make sure to take good care of yourself. My experience of having a loved one in the hospital is like you're entering a kind of "twilight zone", not only stressful but rather strange, separate from everyday life and the outside world. It's important to keep yourself grounded.

I'm looking forward to what you have to say about this once it's past and done with. (Also keeping my fingers crossed that your second interview went well today.)