Saturday, June 27, 2009

Peace Lily

In the fall of 2004 my daughter moved into an apartment located on the north side of the building, which meant no direct sunlight. She wanted a plant for her bedroom. After I read the tags on all the houseplants at the local nursery, I settled on a peace lily. It was blooming at the time. It didn't bloom again until now ~

My research tells me that peace lily plants bloom when they want, and they can go dormant for long periods of time. I can identify with that.

6 comments:

helen said...

I saw a bumper sticker many years ago and it comes back to me every now and again ~

"Bloom where you're planted."

Joanne said...

What a perfect, and beautiful parallel. We have much to learn from the peace lily.

Kitty said...

This also reminds me of the old saying, "Don't push the river." Futile and unnecessary, and results in frustration and exhaustion, when we could be enjoying the journey instead.

And the Bette Midler song "The Rose". Life may seem dormant, but who's to say what's going on underneath the surface?

Putting the pieces together... said...

"grow where you are planted"

Thats one of my favorite things about plants. Trees, especially. There were sunrises in the rainforests of Australia, when I would stand on the side of a mountain, surrounded by old growth forest and be in awe of the old trees around me. Trees that had limbs fall off, and wind spatter at them, and floods, and fields cleared around them, and they withstood it all, and grew, because that's all they know to do. Its pretty darn cool. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll be blooming soon. We'll be watching for you!

Cindy H said...

Sharon, your peace lily looks MUCH nicer than mine. It was the plant I bought for from our family for my mom's funeral. It was blooming then, but it wasn't been doing too well lately. My oldest son said it needs lots of water and occasional misting. I guess I'll give that a try.