Saturday, November 28, 2009

Fall Blooms

My daughter brought a beautiful bouquet with her on Thursday. Several of the stems have buds that are still blooming ~

On my list of things to do before the holidays was "cut back the out-of-control hibiscus plant" that hasn't bloomed yet this year. Last year it bloomed in September. Then I noticed a half dozen buds on this crazy plant. In November.
Ken said maybe it will bloom for Christmas.
Does anyone know how to set the timing on a hibiscus plant?

3 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

I'm amazed that you can get a hibiscus plant to bloom in northern climates, even when kept indoors. Not sure how you can encourage Christmas blooms but maybe you'll be lucky.

Anonymous said...

I can only do what you've probably already done! Here's a link- http://americanhibiscus.org/index.htm

helen said...

According to my sister-in-law who is a master gardner, the hibiscus plant needs a rest period to enhance the blooming period. Your plant is a bit confused but you should be able to prune it after it blooms and force it into a more regular cycle. Check the link below. Let us know if you get December blooms!

www.thriftyfun.com/tf622096.tip.html