Friday, November 13, 2009

Online Is Overrated

Last month I wrote a post about how I was setting up accounts to pay as many bills as possible online. In some cases it took hours to make the connection between my checking account and the bill I wanted to pay. As of today I have ten accounts payable online.

The intent behind this transition to online bill-paying was to streamline the system so someone else [aka Ken] could step in to pay bills more easily if I was indisposed for some reason.

Honestly, I was feeling pretty savvy for saving 44 cents for every stamp I wasn't using each month.

This month, for the most part, things have gone smoothly.

Then, yesterday I made the house payment, within the grace period when there is no late fee.

Yes, there was no late fee. But there was a service fee because I chose to make the payment in the final third of the payment period. So it wasn't late. And the money comes straight out of my checking account into the mortgage lender's account. But because I chose to pay the bill on the 12th, which I could have easily done by mailing the check at no extra charge other than the cost of the stamp, the online fee is $6.00. Six dollars. A service fee. It will be 14 months of stamps-I-did-not-use before I make that money back.

* * * * * * * * * * *

While I am sharing my limited success with doing business online, I might as well share that I applied for two jobs this week.

I don't often mention it, but I am still looking for a job. Wanted: a position where I leave my house to go someplace else to work with others to make the world a better place. That's my dream anyway.

These days most places prefer that you apply online. Figures, right? It's the 21st century and all that.

I wrote my letters and revised my resume. In one case I had to find the organization's website because although they preferred that the application be submitted online they did not include an email address or website in the ad.

With my "paperwork" checked and double-checked, I attached the documents to an email and clicked send.

Now I wait. Because not every place that wants you to apply online will reply to let you know they got your application.

The organization where I sent an application two weeks ago? I'm still waiting to hear they received it.

Yeah, online is overrated.

7 comments:

mimi said...

Yes, online job hunting is the pits. You never know for sure they even got your resume let alone read it. I prefer the good old days of applying in person.

I am also job hunting after not working for 3 years and I am having a very hard time accepting mentally and emotionally that there is no fairy tale job waiting for me. I want to work but I hate the idea of drudgery- I want my life to be exciting and filled with endless opportunity- not gonna happen. I hate that my life will spiral back once again into the daily drone. I am caught between wanting to throw caution to the wind and live my life as I dream it OR DOING THE SAFE THING and going to work dutifully and saving my money and paying my insurance premiums so I will have health care when I am old and feeble (I am borderline here at 53). There is no right answer.

Anonymous said...

No easy way to it. There's something about pen to paper!

Kristen said...

and yet....it might help me build my family! :)

Anonymous said...

I am still a bit leery of everything online. Each time I order something from an online catalog, even from a bigger reputable company, I worry about my credit card info, for example. Like so many people in their 50s, I trust snail mail more. Online is good for some things, like for submitting pieces of writing to editors, etc, but surely not the answer for everything?

CaShThoMa said...

I agree with you; online is way over-rated. Especially paying bills.
Good luck with your job applications.

Cindy H said...

I also prefer to do some things on line and some things on paper. As starrlife said, "There's something about pen to paper."

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I agree with trusting pen and paper more. I do no personal business online. My children do this. I do have utilities bills going straight to bank. I also feel somewhat uncomfortable when I order online but do order a lot from Amazon.