Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hemmed And Belted

Last year I heard the term "Mom Jeans" for the first time.

What are Mom Jeans?

I am a mom, and I wear jeans. So....

From what I can gather, "Mom Jeans" are the jeans that fit at, or a bit below, the waist. These are the jeans that middle-aged women wear, the jeans that we've been wearing for thirty years.

The problem is that any jeans that fit anywhere near your waist are no longer in fashion.

So I have been attempting to update my wardrobe.

If you buy jeans in the store, you can forgo looking at the numbers and just buy jeans that fit, providing there are stores near your town that sell the latest styles in a variety of sizes. I happened upon a great sale at JCPenney just before Christmas and bought two pair of corduroy jeans. They sit low, but my daughter advised me that they are in style. It has taken me this long to hem them up, but I now own dark brown and camel-colored corduroy jeans that do not fall into the "Mom Jeans" category.

Finding a new pair of blue jeans took more work. I had no luck in the stores.

When you order jeans online or out of a catalog, the measurements are still for your "waist" and "hips." There is no measurement for the area that falls three inches below your waistline, which is where the stylish jeans of today are worn.

In other words, it's hit or miss.

I finally ordered a pair online from Eddie Bauer, which surprisingly are the right length.

The jury is still out on whether or not they fit just right. Machine washing and drying has certainly helped.

The problem is that they don't sit anywhere near my waistline, which in my experience is where jeans need to sit to stay up without a belt. Humph.

I don't always want to wear a belt. Or at least I didn't used to.

I need a belt with these new jeans. I guess that's a small price to pay to not be accused of wearing "Mom Jeans."

It's a lot of work to stay in style these days.

With my belief that I will be middle-aged until I'm 70, I have years of work ahead of me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Te-hee!
You are very right about the whole belt thing. You can't wear jeans of today without feeling like you need to give the a good tug every time you stand up or move for more than a few feet.
I like the jeans from Old Navy. They fit pretty well and have just enough spandex than you don't feel like you are being cut in too.
In the end, I LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga pants (or in real terms, fancy stretch pants, ha!).
Rock On, mama
~Dawn

Cindy said...

I don't think I even own a belt anymore, lol. I do have the lower cut jeans, to find a good fit I try on about 25 pair at a time. Secretly, I love my grandma jeans, even though I am not a grandma yet. What are grandma jeans? I just made this up (I think) but they are the jeans without zippers or pockets. The elastic waist jeans. i like to wear them with tunics and long sweaters. No tugging or belts needed;-)

CaShThoMa said...

Right on, Sharon!

Another feature of "Mom Jeans" is a tapered leg which is apparently a huge fashion faux pas. Straight leg or boot cut highly preferred! LOL.

I've been wearing the newer styles for a couple of years now after my daughter insisted that all the Mom jeans be banished from my wardrobe. I don't wear belts but certainly think twice before squatting to pick something up off the floor....big risk.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Oy. Finding jeans to fit (no matter how old/young I am) has always been a challenge!

Joanne said...

You're stylin', Sharon! I find that I always have to wear a belt with today's jeans, but don't even notice it anymore. Between the lower cut and the spandex (which I find just stretches out of shape) in everything ... My daughter bought me a pair of skinny jeans and equestrian boots for Christmas, which I hadn't considered before, and now love them. Keep your eye opened for those, they're the latest!

Kitty said...

My number one concern in clothes is comfort, not being up-to-date with the style. I wear "grandma jeans" (jeans with the elastic waist), and I'm not even a grandma :D.

I think I still look pretty good, however. I have fun accessorizing and color coordinating.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, you go, girl!

I don't have a daughter to keep me up-to-date on the latest "non-Mom" look. I guess I like jeans with a waist, but, Sharon, you've inspired me to try something a little more nouveau. I sometimes like to change the tone of my outfit with an unusual pair of shoes -- I've been known to wear mid high heels with a pair of jeans to create a different look, especially if I throw on a jazzier blouse or top. Anyway, ladies, you've all inspired me to think a little bit outside my box!