Friday, February 26, 2010

More Than A Rainstorm

Heavy rain fell all day Thursday. By late afternoon flood warnings were flashing across the television screen. By nightfall the wind had picked up; we heard today that there were gusts of more than 50 mph. After midnight our lights flickered. Ken was on his way home from work in New Hampshire, and I was waiting up for him. I felt like I was caught in a wind tunnel and worried we might lose power, though we never did. We got to bed late, and at 1:45 a.m there was a power surge that lit up the thermostat in our bedroom and shut clocks off all over the house. Fifteen minutes later there was a thunderous crash, and I was sure a tree had fallen on the house. I got up and walked from room to room, looking out windows but seeing nothing other than small branches sent airborne and tree tops waving for all they were worth. This morning we discovered the source of the thunderous crash ~ just a few feet from our power line the topmost portion of a pine tree was completely separated from the trunk~

Until last night, it was a really tall pine tree ~

We then walked a half mile down our road to find the stream over its banks ~

Water rushing under the bridge ~

And making its way to the river that feeds Merrymeeting Bay ~

Then we noticed that our neighbors just beyond the bridge lost their barn in the storm ~

Tonight we have neighbors who are still without power. Throughout southern Maine trees have taken out power lines, fallen on houses, and made roads impassable. Again we are reminded of the power that nature wields over our environment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep- I was thinking of you when I read the paper this morning about the flooding. I'm glad to hear that you are okay- whew! That was a big tree!
We have had a lot of outages around us but been lucky- just lots of rain and snow and sleet. It's coming up on Spring in New England- crazy weather.

Joanne said...

Wow, nature's fury passed through your neck of the woods. Your stream looks like a raging river. Glad you and your home are okay!

CaShThoMa said...

Oh my. This must have been very frightening to live through. Reminds me of living through a hurricane that ripped through Houston when we lived there in the early 80's and then walking around the next day viewing nature's wrath up close.

Glad your house and you are OK!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what is with all this wild/weird weather -- everywhere -- lately? I'm glad to hear you're all safe, and that you'll keep us posted.

patti said...

WOW! How I miss water (our town has no rivers) but I'd forgotten THIS view of water.

You are so right about the power in a storm. And then I remember that still soft Voice and praise Him.

Thank you for your blog.

Patti

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I am glad to hear that you and yours were not duly harmed. Blessings to those who suffered, especially from the worry of loss. Hopefully, brighter days now?

Laura said...

Sounds like our night...we lost a tree too...it was a slow, gradual cracking sound...in the morning we saw the tree broken in half (also a pine) hanging precariously over the fence. Our kids had no school yesterday as many roads were still blocked and families had no power...today all seems right again in the world.

mermaid said...

With this tale, and the recent natural disasters in Chile and Haiti, I believe you are right.

Mother Nature has power that humbles us. We must yield to her. I

I am glad you are OK.