Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Dreamed A Dream

Susan Boyle has released her first CD.  I think her voice is amazing.  

I recently saw Oprah interview Susan Boyle, who showed incredible poise.  She is handling her newly found fame with grace and humor.  Susan has found a way to remain true to herself while she navigates the maze of celebrity and shares her talent with the world.

That is no small task.

Why are some people able to make the best of what life has to offer, while others suffer under the weight of daily living?

Today a friend sent me an email with the words of the song from Les Miserables that Susan Boyle has made famous all over again.  I share it here in memory of those who have not been able to hold the tigers at bay.


I Dreamed A Dream
as sung by Susan Boyle

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I prayed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted
  
But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hopes apart
And they turn your dream to shame
 
Still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
 
I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

The music is by Claude-Michel Schönberg, with orchestrations by John Cameron. The English lyrics are by Herbert Kretzmer, based on the originalFrench libretto by Alain Boublil.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I recently bought the cd My One and Only Thrill by Melody Gardot. A few years back as a college student, she was hit by a vehicle while bike riding, and was seriously injured. After extensive therapy didn't help her memory loss, she turned to music therapy. To make a long story short, this exquisite jazz cd grew from that incident. Some people's ability to make such beauty from a tragedy is awe inspiring.

patti said...

LOVE this blog! Have you seen Les Miserables? Better, have you listened to the music? Ohhh, Red, the blood of angry men, I'm Jean Valjean..."I Dreamed a Dream," amazingly, is not my favorite song from the musical.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Lovely song, and yes, she is amazing. Speaking as the granddaughter of Scottish immigrants, who were farmers, I am guessing Susan's poise and common sense might be products of her simple Scots' upbringing.... My grandmother would have loved her, and been proud of her too.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon, these words are so poignant. It speaks to all that is within us, both the light and the dark, the dreams and the disappointments, and how they all mix together to make a rich in spirit life. Music has such a powerful way of bringing that to the forefront for us. Blessings...

mermaid said...

Thanks for the introduction. I don't know Susan Boyle, but now I do!

Cindy said...

These lyrics remind me of the idea that as we age, our dreams diminish. That hasn't happened to me yet...and I hope it never does, but I admit to some visits from the tiger at night. It always says "you are way too old to write romance novels." Then I think of Barbara Cartland at 100, dictating her millionth romance to her secretary.