Saturday, February 20, 2010

To The Ocean

Ken and I drove to the ocean today, to Popham Beach, our favorite place. We were surprised by what we saw when we walked a mile south on the beach. A river that flows to the ocean has changed course to carve a channel, and sandbars have been created in a quiet inlet ~

created with sand taken from dunes along the beach ~

While nature has taken the upper hand, humans have made an attempt to protect the dunes with a buffer zone of fallen trees ~
We left the dunes behind and walked a mile north on open beach. We looked back at the sun shining on the water and marveled at nature's power ~

On the way home we managed to find a little place recommended by a friend. A pleasant surprise, North Creek Farm is a wonderful spot for lunch.

A trip to the ocean renews my spirit.

8 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Definitely true; a walk along the ocean restores something basic in our souls. Lovely pictures. Hope lunch was good too (an no senior's discounts I hope). LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so jealous! One of my fav places too! There's a channel again this year so that you can't get to the island without swimming?
There is nothing as rejuvenating as a the sea in my opinion. The lunch sounds lovely too. Glad that you had a great time. Hasn't the weather been great the past few days?

Joanne said...

I love the winter beach, it somehow seems more powerful in its desolation than the summer beach. We took a ride a couple of weeks ago to the beach here on Long Island Sound, on a cold, cold day. It's so necessary to me, to do this from time to time.

patti said...

Sharon, how BEAUTIFUL! My daughter won four free airline tickets to anywhere in the 48 states...hmmm...about 14 years ago, and we flew to Boston, then drove to Maine. Fell in love with Acadia National Park.

Loved the wild Maine beaches.

Patti

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Doesn't it though? The beach is an amazing place to restore what ails us. The beach photos are wonderful. Such a wide beach! I'm glad to know that you and Ken had a lovely day away...

I took myself to the ocean the other day too. Though it was windy, the sun was out, very cool, so I had to be bundled. The walk was energizing and I gathered a few shells. Always makes my heart happy to do that, as well as feel my toes in the sand.

Kitty said...

There's something healing about being near water, isn't there? And looking out across the sea, where there's nothing between you and the horizon is so freeing.

North Creek Farm looks delightful, too. I'm just a "farm gal" at heart.

Cindy said...

Lovely photos. You live in an enchanting area!

Laura said...

Beautiful photos Sharon! Please stop by my blog today, I have something special waiting for you:)