Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Third Of Three

This evening my youngest called to ask if I had filed the FAFSA. Unlike most states that set a May 1 deadline, Massachusetts wants the FAFSA filed by March 1. The last week of February the university emails students to remind them, to remind their parents, that the deadline is fast approaching.

This was the third time my youngest child called me this week. It is unusual to hear from him that often but this is the time of year when decisions need to be made. His first call was to ask what the budget looks like for next year's housing; he is one of the lucky seniors to get housing and garnered one of the earliest slots to choose the dorm where he would like to live. This is the first time he has a group of friends who would like to live together, and they have a chance at some of the nicer dorms.

His second call was to let me know that housing costs will be higher than posted online. There is an increase every year, but I appreciated him letting me know. He is cognizant of what school costs because he saves most of the money he makes when he has a co-op semester to help pay the bills, a major portion of the bills. That was the deal we struck when he chose Northeastern, and he has graciously accepted his share of the financial responsibilities.

This is the last time I will file a FAFSA for one of my children. These are the last conversations we will have about dorm selection. These are good things. These are signs of growing up and moving on ~ my son... and me.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh that FAFSA. I'm still filing for my youngest. And I did have to file for my oldest for Grad school, too. So you might be visiting the FAFSA site again if Grad school is in the picture ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have great communication and a solid relationship with your son. And he's got a sense of finance and how things work. That will serve him well!

CaShThoMa said...

Nice that your son shares some of the expenses for his education. I'm sure you'll be glad to be done with that last FAFSA though. I was.

Cindy said...

You're making memories, and boy do they help to have around when the kids are gone!

patti said...

Oh, love this Phases and Stages story. DID THE SAME THING with one last year!!

It felt soooo good!!!

Blessings,
Patti

Laura said...

Growing up...it all goes so fast, doesn't it?

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

It DOES go by fast! I have kids in various phases of school -- one graduating college, one graduating high school, and one graduating middle school. Even for my oldest child, it seems like yesterday that I was holding him in my arms and dancing around the room with him! Now he's five inches taller than I am and I look up to him.