Monday, May 3, 2010

First Monday In May

I have always been a person who needs time to ponder and regroup. Last week when life slowed down to slower than the usual pace, I knew there was something afoot. Ken was working out of town, so my time was completely my own. I didn't clean house or do laundry. I ate what I wanted when I was hungry. I started work to finish my daughter's quilt.

It felt like I put myself in time out, as if I said Think about what you've done with your life, young lady. How exactly did I get to where I am? And where am I now?

A crystal clear memory presented itself. I remembered that shortly after my youngest child was born I strained my back. I reached over the side of the crib to pick him up...ouch. I called the doctor, who prescribed rest and the insight that the body after having a baby at 31 is different than it was at 25. There was another incident after that, although now I don't recall what, and I remember praying that I live to see my son grow up. I fervently prayed that I would live until he was least 15, the age I thought he would be independent and able to remember me, and my oldest two children would be old enough to help him out.

Now my youngest is 22 years old. He is moving off campus for the summer, and he has rented an apartment with friends for the fall. He made plans to fly to California to spend the time between spring semester and summer session with his brother, which is where he is this week.

I know people love me. The thing is that no one needs me.

What if that means I have done all I came to do? What if that means I will die?

As these thoughts occurred to me last week, I didn't think they were morbid. I was not scared. I watched the ideas unfold, checked them over carefully, and let them sit with me. I didn't say them out loud or even write them down. I stopped at the edge of my thinking because... what if I sounded crazy?

I had a massage scheduled for Friday morning. I have been going at least once a month for ten years. We start each session with a conversation about what has been going on with me and how my body feels. I covered the usual topics. One thing led to another and in the lightest tone I could muster I shared my thoughts about, perhaps, being finished with what I was supposed to do. I wondered out loud if I was going to die.

My massage therapist is a deeply spiritual person, intuitive, and incredibly able to read people. She watched me and asked a few questions. She never proclaims to know the answer, but she gently shares the thoughts that come to her during our sessions. She wondered if it wasn't about physical death but about death of the Sharon that has always taken care of someone else, that maybe this was about it being time for me to take care of me.

I puzzled over that and asked why it was taking so long; I feel like it's taking forever for me to figure out what to do with myself. I can't get a job. I can't win a local election. What if I am just supposed to be finished?

She offered that it takes a long time to change course, to listen to ourselves and learn who we are. She said that if I had been busy with other commitments I might have missed all the things I have learned about myself.

She asked me how my body has been. I told her that my shoulders have been tight and my upper arms have been sore. As she started the massage she suggested I ask my shoulders if they had anything to tell me.

The tears came with the thought holding on too tight to my kids, the life I knew, and who I used to be. She massaged my shoulders and my thighs, which have also been tight, a sign she says that I have been digesting new information. My entire body felt better after the massage. I felt ready to go on.

This time has been important. As much as I want the uncertainty to end and the answers to come, I believe that life unfolds on its own schedule.

Maybe the journey is just beginning.

11 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Beautiful. Much for me to learn here, as well. Let's both be gentle with ourselves today.

Joanne said...

It seems as though you're in-between right now. In an interim place. And I like the visual of life unfolding, slowly, gently, from this place. So in a sense, it is doing so, even with your new thoughts here.

annie said...

It can take a while and much exploration. Your line about "holding on" actually jogged something in me. Perhaps my writing for the education blog is not as much about building a clip file in a paying gig as it is about holding on to my former profession? Interesting.

Change will take as much time as it takes.

CaShThoMa said...

What a powerful post, Sharon. Your experience with the massage therapist and her way of coaxing forward the messages locked in the body is amazing. Reminds me a bit of the work that "Phoenix Rising Yoga" therapists perform. The body carries powerful information that begs to be released. I'm glad you had this experience.

This time of our lives when children are "gone" and no one needs us is unique indeed.

Anonymous said...

Sharon- I don't know many people who work as hard as you do- you are working! Full time.
It's an interesting journey eh?

Anonymous said...

As a massage therapist all I am going to say is this: I applaud you for taking such good care of your physical self. Most underestimate the powerful information that the body stores for us. As we learn to listen to our physical side, we understand it is the greatest instrument we have for telling us if we are going in the right direction or not.
So good for you, Sharon. Continue to be gentle with yourself. You are beginning to live for YOU again. That is just wonderful!!
Peace~

Cindy said...

Sharon, I read recently (the book was by Gina Lake) that when we pass from one way of being to another, (she calls it Ego to Essence) the transition feels very ungrounding. This sounds like where you are at.

Cindy L said...

Oh, Sharon, this post speaks to more women than you'll ever realize, I suspect. You've spoken my truth, too, especially the part about letting go of the life you had as a mother and being needed. I still wrestle with that issue every day.

And wow, your massage therapist sounds like an amazing, intuitive person. What a gift, and what important work you ARE doing. Just sharing your thoughts on this post, Sharon, is a gift to many!

patti said...

What an unbelievable post. I resonated with so much of your analysis.

Thank you for sharing of yourself to help me.
God bless you.
Patti

teri said...

Well the path to your blog this afternoon was a winding one. But here I am - and as some of the comments say already -this post speaks to heart of an issue many of us won't share.

I feel like I am reading my life- the kids, the massage therapist, the traveling husband... and the bouts of emotion. Thank you for sharing--

Putting the pieces together... said...

Nice post, but I have to disagree here with "The thing is that no one needs me." I know you are needed more than you realize by more people than you realize (in addition to your immediate friends and family, just look at how many women responded to this post!.
I imagine how the people in your life need you now may be different than before, so perhaps its less about holding on too tight to people, and more learning how to let go of a familiar role, and transition forward to a new part.
I don't have the answers to this one, but I can relate to it as I am under my own reconstruction. Its good you have people around you and a sense of self to help in shaping and forming a new approach, good luck :-)