Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sew Sew

I started sewing more than 40 years ago. I made many of my own clothes while I was in junior and senior high school. The summer before I left for college I made a quilt with the remnants from the clothes I had made for myself and others over the previous five years. Can you tell that I like lime green?

Three years later I was planning my wedding, and my grandmother wanted me to make my gown. I said no to that, but I did make my little sister's dress to wear as the flower girl. She was six at the time. Ten years later my seven year-old daughter wore that same dress to attend my brother's wedding.
* * * * * * * * *
And now I am making my dress and my daughter's dress to wear to my oldest son's wedding. He will be married on August 14. I like a classic, tailored look and found the perfect Vogue pattern for a fitted two-piece to make up in moss green brushed satin. My daughter likes simple lines, too, and selected a beautiful teal linen for her dress. With any luck I will have photos to share soon. If anybody asks, we bought them at Macy's Department Store *wink wink.

7 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Wow; I'm impressed. I've always envied those who can sew.

I'm excited to see the pictures. That wedding is coming up! What a blessed time. Enjoy!

Cindy said...

I always wished I could sew, too. I admire anyone with that talent. And to use your talents for such a happy occasion must be twice as satisfying.

helen said...

I wish I had kept up with my sewing skills as you have. Anxious to see photos of the dresses.

I hope no one is brazen enough (tacky?) to ask where you got the dresses, but I suggest you say "They were custom designed and tailored by an experienced Maine seamstress."

jd881 said...

Looking forward to seeing your handiwork. I know the dresses will be stunning! I know I loved that flower girl's dress.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

The quilt is gorgeous. I admire your sewing skills, and I share your love of clothes with simple lines. I look forward to seeing pictures of your creations!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I too want to see the pictures. How blessed you are to have this talent....

teri said...

I am a bit late with a comment - but just had to say that I love your quilt! As a fabric obsessed quilter I have many colors I am in love with... the dormer walls of my little sewing room are apple green -- yummy. I hope your dresses are coming together nicely. I am VERY impressed with people that can make clothing-and hope your dresses are going together nicely. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog the other day!