Friday, July 30, 2010

Only A Dream

I have been on both ends of taking leave.

The one who leaves...and the one who is left behind.

Even if you want to go and know it's for the best, it can be hard to leave.

As hard as it is to leave, it hurts more to be left behind.

* * * * * * * * * *
The song in my head this week is by Mary Chapin Carpenter. Years ago Ken heard one of her songs on the radio and thought I would enjoy her music. We bought her current CD at the time and have been fans ever since. Eighteen years later this haunting song still touches my heart.

Only A Dream
by Mary Chapin Carpenter, from the album Come On Come On, 1992

I can recall the sound of the wind,
as it blew through the trees
and the trees would bend
And I can recall the smell of the rain
on a hot summer night coming through the screen.
I'd crawl in your bed when the lightning flashed
and I'd still be there when the storm had passed
Dead to the world till the morning cast
its light all around your room.

We lived on a street where the tall elm shade
was as green as the grass and as cool as a blade
That you held in your teeth as we lay on our backs
staring up at the blue,
and the blue stared back.
I used to believe we were just like those trees,
we'd grow just as tall and as proud as we pleased
With our feet on the ground and our arms in the breeze
under a sheltering sky.

Twirl me about and twirl me around
Let me grow dizzy and fall to the ground
And when I look up at you looking down
Say it was only a dream.

A big truck was parked in the drive one day,
They wrapped us in paper and moved us away.
Your room was no longer next door to mine,
This kid sister thing was old by that time.
But oh how our dreams went bump in the night
and the voices downstairs getting into a fight
and the next day a silence you could cut with a knife
and feel like a blade at your throat.

Twirl me about and twirl me around
Let me grow dizzy and fall to the ground
And when I look up at you looking down
Say it was only a dream.

The day you left home you got an early start,
I watched your car back out in the dark.
I opened the door to your room down the hall,
I turned on the light and all that I saw
Was a bed and a desk and couple of tacks
No sign of someone who expects to be back.
It must've been one hell of a suitcase you packed.

Twirl me about and twirl me around
Let me grow dizzy and fall to the ground
And when I look up at you looking down
Say it was only a dream.

7 comments:

helen said...

I don't recall this particular song but it sure made an impact as I read the words. So true; so painful that leaving thing...and yet life goes on. We heal, we move forward, we change, but we always remember.

Cindy L said...

Oh this song brings tears, especially after I read Starrlife's recent post about tucking her daughter into bed and realizing she's growing up and leaving childhood!

I am reminded of how much I still miss my son, and how his room has seemed so empty ever since he left for college, then off on his own to Chicago.

What it is about summer that makes us all so nostalgic for old days? I always get down my copy of "Dandelion Wine" when I need a dose of old-time summer comfort! Thanks for the reminder and a great song...

patti said...

Oh, I LOVE old songs.
Went on an "overnight" getaway and a band at the restaurant played an old America song, not Sister Goldenhair Surprise, but it REMINDED me of Sister Goldenhair Surprise.

And I keep on thinkin' bout ya, Sister Goldenhair Surprise, and I just can't live without ya, can't ya see it in my eyes. I've been, one, poor correspondent, I've been two, too hard to find, but that doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind...
Just reminds me of those I failed to connect with, those who have gone...those who remain to be found!!!!

With God, there is always HOPE!
Blessings,
Patti

jd881 said...

This one sure does leave an impact. Thanks for posting.

Debra said...

Yes, Sharon, it is definitely harder to be the one left behind. Leaving often means newness, adventure and a fresh beginning, while being left means more of an internal journey.

Beautiful song. I wish you very well during this bittersweet part of your journey. I understand, friend.

Hugs,
Debbie

mermaid said...

Haunting, yet true. Old songs have a way of bringing us right back to a tender time.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Brought tears to my eyes this early morning.