Monday, July 5, 2010

Steps In The Right Direction

For the most part, this July 4th holiday was a working weekend for us. Ken and I made a lot of headway on the first of many landscaping projects: new steps from the driveway to the deck. A few weeks ago, Ken [with the help of his trusty tractor] dug up the gravel path ~

In mid-June he placed railroad ties at regular intervals, which apparently did not meet Leo's approval ~

This weekend things really started to take shape. We turned the soil over on either side and enhanced it with peat moss, green sand, and gypsum. Mulch [made on site with our new chipper/shredder] fills in the space between railroad ties ~

Though still not completely finished, the steps and plants alongside go a long way to improve the entrance to our house. Leo still prefers to take the long way down ~

*Tomorrow I will post what I learned from the reading of my birth chart. First, I want to review my notes and listen to the recording of the session. It was fascinating but a lot of information to take in at one sitting. It was also a more emotional experience than I expected. Now I am ready to forge ahead.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

The steps look great, I love doing and watching projects like these. It's nice too that you have an on-sight inspector (Leo).

We pulled out a few of our shrubs this past week and replaced them with a hydrangea bush and a few ornamental grasses, my new favorite. Then freshly bark mulched it all. I'm glad we beat the heat we're getting now!

Cindy said...

Pretty! And cats are so funny, aren't they?

teri said...

Looks fantastic! Surely Leo was just waiting until the steps were completed. I need your husband to bring his tractor to Virginia. I am dreaming of a raised garden area in my front yard-(shhh don't tell my husband). Unfortunately our project this weekend was waterproofing the deck- Yuck!

Debbie said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow your steps are great and they are certainly leading to a house of comfort. I finally got to your blog and after reading many entrys and the comments made I must say - WOW - you are making an impact on others as you have on me - you are a Once in a lifetime friend and a wonderful woman. I'm so proud of you for all you've done to move forward in life and all you do for others. Thanks and love to you Deb