Thursday, August 12, 2010

Aqua And Green

* Shhhh ~ this is still a secret. I think the bride and groom will be too busy to read this in the next few days. If you see them, please don't tell.


** This is still a secret after the wedding. The bride and groom are on their honeymoon but have their laptops with them. Shhhhh....


It has been an interesting couple of weeks. On the one hand I have had things to do to get ready for my son's wedding. On the other hand my duties have been few and I have been removed from most of the action. Still...there have been things to tend to, phone calls to make, emails to send, errands to run, and sewing to do. Months ago I started making a quilt for the soon-to-be newlyweds. Over Christmas I asked my son, in a round-about way, about color schemes and patterns. He's not a fan of flowers and prefers contemporary patterns. I know they both like blue and green. So the search for material began, and I selected nine different fabrics. The center square in each nine-block is a heart pattern ~




And that heart fabric also forms the border on the front and around the solid blue backing ~

I created a pattern unlike anything I've done before, and it's hard to explain without a drawing. Suffice it to say that polka dots and stripes alternate ~

There are a few details to finish before I put it in the mail to California next week. It has been nice to have a project to focus on during these days before the big event. The quilt has put away for now. Tomorrow morning we will board a train to Boston. I have received a lot of support as I have prepared for this weekend ~ thank you. I am taking all of it with me.

11 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I hope you enjoy your weekend; a memorable few days!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt- what a gift that is! You are so darn productive!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can comment!

patti said...

What CAN'T you do!!??

Praise God that you use your talents.

May you have a blessed weekend!
Patti

Cindy said...

Lovely. You have such a gift!

helen said...

Another amazing work of love and a beautiful work of art. After all the wedding excitement is over...there's another wonderful surprise waiting for the newlyweds!

Carolynn Anctil said...

It's beautiful. I have a quilt I started a couple of years ago that I have yet to finish. I need to take another lesson so I can get it done. I really like the colours I chose and the patterns are a mix of different ones. Maybe I'll drag it out this winter and get busy on it.

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time this weekend! All my best to your son and his new bride.

Hugs,
Carolynn

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Absolutely stunning, and I hope you have a wonderful love-filled, fun-filled weekend, Sharon!

Laura said...

Beautiful quilt!!! Congratulations on your son's wedding...how wonderful!

many blessings to you dear one.

teri said...

Fabulous quilt! Making that and your dress and finishing up your walk way project- DO you ever sleep? I have enjoyed your lead up to your sons wedding! Blessings-

teri

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful. What a wonderful gift to your son and bride. I have many of my mother's quilts. I garden but can never sit still long enough to sew. Have just finished a number of your posts.
Enjoyed them and they make me smile.