Monday, August 23, 2010

Take The Cake

The wedding cake was as beautiful as it was delicious - yellow cake with chocolate between the layers that were enveloped in fluffy white icing and topped with delicate sugar flowers of yellow, red, and white ~

I didn't think too much about the tradition of saving the top of the cake because there are friends and relatives of the bride in the Boston area, and I thought one of them would freeze the top portion for later consumption. Then Sunday evening my younger son got a message that asked if Ken and I would take the top of the cake home with us. Okay. We could handle that. Monday morning we were handed a cake box with the top of the cake inside. Here is Ken outside the hotel in a photo of the box on top of our luggage before we head off, on foot, in the direction of the train station ~

I carried the box several blocks and it sat on a bench while we waited for the train. The box rode securely on the luggage rack all the way to Maine. Once we got it home I had to figure out how to preserve it so it would be edible several months from now. So I googled "freezing the top of the wedding cake" and the first link had all the info I needed: freeze the cake, uncovered, for two hours to harden the icing; securely wrap the frozen cake in 3-4 layers of plastic wrap; then place the wrapped cake in a box and wrap the box in 3-4 layers of plastic wrap. It just so happened that I had the perfect box ~ it came from a winery in California and the cake would fit inside ~

The box would fit on a narrow shelf in my side-by-side freezer ~

So we have the top of the wedding cake in our freezer, the farthest place it could be from the newlyweds. My brother-in-law suggested that we ship it to California on dry ice before their first anniversary. I am sure we will figure something out. We always do.

8 comments:

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Lovely! I have been enjoying reading about the wedding. I just learned that my oldest daughter (age 28) is going to get married next summer. So we are all in for a thrill. Never through a wedding before. I look forward to the adventure and will take your advice...It always works out. I believe that too!

annie said...

Rob and I didn't have a cake. I am kinda sorry about that now, but at the time, I was still recovering from allergy issues, couldn't eat really much at all and certainly not cake, so we skipped it.

Will and I saved the cake top though. Didn't do the pre-freeze thing so the icing just drooped when we thawed in out for our 1st anniversary party - but it was still delicious.

I like saving the top. It's nice to have that little bit of the day to savour later. The wedding day goes by so fast and this, to me, is one of better traditions.

We kept the cake ourselves though. Don't know how practical it is to save it at a distant location.

Patti Lacy said...

Wow! What a FINE picture!
My daughter preferred to do individual cheesecake slices, and they were yummy!

But the picture isn't quite as classic as yours!!

Thanks for watching the youtube!

It was SUCH a wonderful weddding.........and has been a blessed marriage!!!

mermaid said...

Such dedicated loving parents. I hope you are as kind to yourself as you were to them and the cake:)

Debra said...

Beautiful bride and groom, and that cake looks and sounds fabulous!

I think that the picture of the caketop in your freezer should go into the wedding album:)

Big hugs,
Debbie

CaShThoMa said...

Very nice. Isn't google search great? You can find out the answer to almost anything! I love wedding cake and feel soooo bad that I never got a bite of my son and his bride's cake...I was doing other things and kept thinking I'd have a chance and then, it was gone!! Not sure they have the top of their cake but I'll ask. Maybe I'll eventually get a bite (tee hee).

helen said...

Way to go MOG! Don't forget to post next year when the cake leaves the freezer...

Cindy said...

It's clear you love those kids a lot! I also enjoy your positive attitude about getting the cake to them somehow....