Thursday, August 19, 2010

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing

Months ago Ken and I talked about taking a dance lesson or two before the wedding. In theory it was a good idea. In practice it was next to impossible to find anywhere to pick up a dance lesson in the summertime. The best we could do was a how-to lesson on YouTube. My son and his bride took dance lessons at an Arthur Murray Dance Studio in California, so I hoped he would give me a quick lesson before the big event. As luck would have it, the groom and the groomsmen spent the afternoon before the wedding in our hotel suite. I took advantage of the time together and asked my son to give me a twirl around the coffee table ~

Then Ken and I took a few practice steps. The things we remembered from the video were to stand up straight, smile wide, and look at each other as if we were looking at the most beautiful person in the world. We could do that, and we got a case of the giggles every time ~

At the reception, the only couple we wanted to watch on the dance floor was Peter and Claudia ~

They did a beautiful job, complete with a twirl ~

I heard just before it was my turn that Peter had selected the song What A Wonderful World for our dance. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it together if I listened to the words, so I focused on Peter. We talked about what a wonderful day it had been, and I told him I knew he was going to be happy. We talked and laughed. There would be time for tears later ~

Ken was slow to take to the dance floor, but once he was warmed up he was raring to go. We haven't danced that much since our own wedding. Somehow my daughter caught us in one of the few moments of the evening when we weren't grinning ear to ear ~

11 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Wow; love these photos! Everyone looks so happy.

My son picked the same song for the mother-son dance. How about that?

Thanks for sharing this special time with your readers!

annie said...

I love that private moment photo. Beautiful.

Congratulations!

Cindy said...

Your dress is beautiful and so are you. Wishing the best for the happy couple!

helen said...

Beautiful! Your dress is as lovely as I imagined. Much nicer viewing on you than on the hangar.

I better find that You Tube dance step video before too long...

teri said...

Wonderful moments, thank you for sharing. There is something magical about sharing in our children's happiness. What a blessing. And you looked fantastic in your beautiful dress! Leo looks like a worn out cat... you think he had done all the traveling.


Also -Thanks so much for the comments at my place!

patti said...

OOOOH, LOVE your photos. You look so happy, Sharon!!! Praise God!

Ummm. My hubby and daughter chose "Boogie Back to Texas" for her wedding. Yes.

You can see it in all its "glory" on www.youtube.com, Alan Lacy.

I can't believe I shared this with you.
P

Carolynn Anctil said...

So lovely. What a beautiful bride & groom and your son sounds very loving and gracious.

I love the last photo of you & your husband gazing into each other's eyes, too.

Elaine said...

Just lovely. (happy sigh.)

Debra said...

Oh my. The moments that build the most incredible memories...

And the picture of you and Ken...the two of you look more in love than ever! How lovely that your daughter captured that moment.

Hugs,
Debbie

Cindy L said...

Oh my my ... I am SO glad I tuned in tonight, as I have enjoyed reading about The Wedding and seeing all these touching and beautiful photos! Sharon, you make me cry, thinking of your son getting married and seeing how beautiful you look in these photos. What a lovely time you've had, and thanks so much for sharing this very special milestone with us. Three cheers to the bride and groom. Wishing them happiness and joy!

MMH said...

Love the image of your and your husband dancing. Beautiful.