Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Breathing

Yesterday morning I had a yoga lesson. I had on my stretch pants and was raring to get started. In 1999 I took a few yoga classes and, though I remembered only a couple poses, I was sure the basics would come back to me with a little help.

I was meeting with a woman, a doctor, who has practiced yoga for a large part of her life. She started by talking about how yoga is not a series of poses, but a frame of mind. The intention is to focus on our breath, and from there we learn to quiet our minds, feel our bodies, and open our hearts. I shared that those are the things I want to learn to do. She stressed that poses are only a part of yoga practice. If we focus on the poses, then we are exercising. It is our breath and the mind/body connection that is the essence of yoga.

We sat in chairs opposite each other.

She showed me how to roll my spine as I breathed ~ breathe in and roll forward, sitting up straight and opening my chest; breathe out and roll back, curving my spine.

She showed me how to breathe as I stretched to each side.

It was a simple demonstration really. Two basic ways to breathe in and out, while I open and stretch.

The session wasn't what I expected. I thought I would learn poses to practice. I wanted to come away with full-sized actions to take and movements to learn. I want to "do" yoga.

Instead, I am learning to breathe. Turns out that the breath is basic to yoga, the same way it is with meditation. It's a small thing, breathing, and it is the most important thing our body can do.

When I take a deep breath, my body takes in necessary oxygen. When I focus on my breath, my mind slows down. As my thoughts slow, there is room to listen to what is beyond my thoughts.

Instead of searching for what my heart says, maybe I need to quiet and listen. There is so much thinking going on that it would be hard for my heart to be heard.

My life is not busy.
I have the time.
My days pass slowly.
The decision is mine.

While my mind says to get out in the world and take action, my body asks me to quiet down inside. Everywhere I turn for answers ~ massage, acupuncture, meditation, birth chart, Buddha Chick class, yoga ~ turns me back toward my self....

And breathing.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Your thoughts here remind me of how when I had my children, I was taught to focus on my breathing during labor. With so very much going on with childbirth, focusing on my breathing helped to focus on only the absolute necessary. It seems like doing this has a way of sharpening our vision, internally, to what we need to see.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

All you have shared is so meaningful to me. Thank you!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I know I would benefit from being more consciously aware of my breathing. I want to "do" yoga too. This was helpful for me to use it to take the time to be more meditative while stretching my limbs.

Blessings,
Carolynn

Laura said...

so glad you had this wonderful mentor in yoga...she is so right...Yoga is about breathing...breathing through through our days with intention...it's the off the mat stuff that matters...not the asanas (though they are lovely and open us in beautiful healing ways, and are very valuable)....yoga means yoke...or union....unifying all aspects of your life. it is meditation in motion...LIFE is meditation in motion.

gentle steps

Cindy said...

Thank you for reminding me its all about the breath. I have been feeling really sorry for myself since I injured my back recently, wondering if I'd ever get to "do" yoga again. So maybe I'll never to shoulder stand or plow again, but I'll be able to go to class and get that wonderful feeling of peace from moving mind and body in harmony.

teri said...

I am smiling, your yoga teacher is a very wise woman.

Anonymous said...

Cool! We are alot like our computers- what we put in we get results from! I am reading if not always commenting but this 31 for 21 is keeping me busy!