Friday, October 8, 2010

Conversation

The end of August Joanne at Whole Latte Life ran a post called "One Word" ~ she wanted to know, in one word, what we can't get enough of. My answer was conversation. That was the first thought that came to my mind, and after I thought about it that was still my answer.

Conversation. It's how we share what we think and how we feel, what matters to us and what we dream about. It's how we get to know others and how people get to know who we are.

When Ken and I were dating we had conversations, face to face, not on the phone. We could sit for hours drinking coffee and talking. We never ran out of things to talk about.

Once we had children we still had conversations. Although we talked a lot about the kids, we still made time to talk about ourselves and our marriage.

As the kids got older, they joined our conversations. My kids like to talk as much as I do. It was routine for us to talk about our day over dinner. My greatest pleasure on the weekends was long, leisurely conversations over breakfast; that is still my favorite part of the visit when any of my children are home.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. My homework during week 1 of the Buddha Chick class was to observe what bothers me, without judgment or trying to fix it. There isn't much that bothers me at this point in my life. I have been in the process of learning who I am and how I respond for 25 years, and in that time I have let most of the small annoyances of life fall by the wayside.

Through my observations I learned that the thing that bothers me the most is how little Ken and I communicate. I miss those long talks about what we think and how we feel and what we wish for.

The class includes writing and reading and listening and sharing. I had a chance to reflect on some of my thoughts with Jan through email. Writing things out helped clarify what I was thinking and feeling.

Over the course of several days I let my words sit without trying to fix anything. There were tears as I wondered how any of this could possibly help the situation or lead to any solution.

This week, lesson 2, the homework was to observe what brings me pleasure. That was an easy list to make because there are so many things I do to take care of myself and keep myself entertained. I always have something to do, often by myself, and I am never bored.

Between the work of week 1 and week 2 something has shifted. I see now that I thought the lack of communication was a reflection on me and my value. That is totally a product of my thinking; this is my issue and not anyone's fault. How much other people talk to me is not connected to my self worth.

I wonder if what I have observed has anything to do with how bound up my "core" has been, complete with tight muscles and lower back pain. I question if this is why, in so many situations, I often don't say what I'm thinking or I censor what I do say.

I haven't changed anything. I have made observations, jotted down thoughts in a journal, practiced Metta Loving-Kindness for myself and others, and paid attention to how my body feels.

I feel encouraged that the more I learn about myself the better I will feel, physically and emotionally and spiritually. The journey continues....

7 comments:

Joanne said...

In my family, our "talk" time is on walks, which we're always taking. Otherwise we seem too busy with the everyday-ness of life to squeeze in substantial talk. But when walking, all the clutter of life falls away and we're free to chatter on.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, you've had quite a revelation, an epiphany -- and that is so wonderful. I see you having conversation here, too, on your blog, and it's a wonderful way to open up to people. I so agree with everything you've said. Things go right when people are free to open up and talk. I was lucky to grow up in a family where talk was encouraged, and my mom and dad used to say, "Let's talk this out. Come talk to us if you've got a problem..."

And the opposite is true. I attribute my husband's lack of closeness to his (large) family to the fact that they just don't truly or deeply communicate; they don't know how to express true emotional intimacy. Genuine relationships (of any kind) thrive on the kind of communication you are talking about. Three cheers to you, Sharon!

teri said...

I read your post and it gave me pause. Ever the reluctant conversationalist - I am beginning to see I will need to reach out more- Thanks so much for keeping us updated- My word would be "stillness".

Laura said...

Call me!!!!! I miss conversations too. Gordon is busy, the girls are busy...I'm home alone all day...my conversations tend to be emails (which are lovely, truly) and a few friends and my mom and dad and my sister....but still...those long, languid no where to go...just talk from the heart conversations are too few and far between. When they do happen, they refuel me. I treasure those times.

I can't wait until you come and we can chat and sip tea and just have a lovely long conversation (even if my voice is funky that day). I'm so happy to be on this journey with you buddha-chick-dharma-sister.

Patti Lacy said...

I know exactly how you feel, Sharon. At our house, it is hard b/c everyone has different "conversation" needs.

May God help you sort it all out.

patti

Carolynn Anctil said...

That sounds like an excellent process. You (and Jan) have given me a few things to think about. While I love a good conversation, I also truly do need great stretches of quiet in order to feel at peace.

mermaid said...

'I see now that I thought the lack of communication was a reflection on me and my value.'

I deeply appreciate your process, Sharon. It's funny how the presence or absence of someone/something leads us to create this story of who we are.

May you continue to make these inquiries and find peace.