Sunday, October 17, 2010

CANstruction 2010

Ken and I were in Boston yesterday to watch our son's team build their sculpture, made completely of canned food, for this year's CANstruction competition. Last year they built a giant pineapple with sunglasses. This year's theme is "Hunger is no laughing matter." The team of civil engineering students from Northeastern University designed and constructed Charlie Brown and Snoopy, complete with doghouse and food bowl. The title: Good Grief! They did a great job ~
[Travis is the third from the left behind the food bowl.]

As part of a nationwide competition, which benefits food banks once displays are dismantled, there were 11 sculptures built at the host school, Bunker Hill Community College. Other entries included Sit On It, a giant chair with whoopee cushion ~

a super-sized Chicken ~

Conan ~

the Swedish Chef ~

and Mr. Potato Head ~
While Ken and I observed the goings-on and enjoyed being present at the event, I realized that this is the tenth, and final, school year that we've had a child in college in Boston. I joked that next year we will just have to find things to do, even if it means "crashing" some of the events that we've enjoyed the most. I'm sure we can blend right in....

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh these are truly a work of art. I love them, particularly that chicken. Kudos to the students for their innovation.

CaShThoMa said...

Very nice photos; I'm constantly amazed by creativity like this.

As for the 10 year span of kids in college in Boston coming to a close; this a but another reminder that times keep moving forward. But, like you said, you can continue to crash some of the much loved events.

I'd love to be going back to fall family weekend at Gonzaga U next weekend but my daughter is no longer there...:{

Carolynn Anctil said...

Those are great. Really inspired and creative. Hmmm...it has me eyeing my pantry a little differently now....

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other comments here -- these are all creative and amazing works of art! I love that parents are encouraged to get involved a bit in the lives of their college kids. We always enjoyed the parents' weekends at Notre Dame -- meeting our son's friends and watching him grow into a young man. You're a great mom, Sharon, and I love how you celebrate your kids at all stages of their lives.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Again, they are truly a work of art. Amazing how creative.

Patti Lacy said...

As Mrs. Green of our area, this knocks my socks off!!

I am SO GLAD I came out of the writing cave to see this!!!!

AMAZING!!!
You go, girl!!! thanks for making my hard day's night!!
P