Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Contrasts

Last Wednesday I took myself to the ocean ~ to walk on the sand, feel the wind, and watch the waves. I can't remember the last time I went to the beach by myself ~

Today's weather is quite a contrast. Morning rain pelted the living-room windows and forced leaves from the trees ~

As I thought about these two days a week apart I was struck by the contrast, not only in the weather but in how my internal conversation has shifted.
These days it's very quiet in my mind.
I grew up with the admonition: If you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all.
Since I made the commitment a week ago to stop my negative self-talk, I haven't had a lot to say to myself. I realize now that I really don't know what to say when it's just me. I've had plenty of time to figure this out because I spend large quantities of time alone. Yet when I stop all the busy chatter and cease the negative comments, it gets very quiet.
This week's lesson in the Buddha Chick course is to befriend ourselves.
Huh. Well then. That is something to think about.
I am to make five promises that will enhance my well-being, five things I will do to befriend myself.
So far I have one thing: I will say "yes" to requests only when I really mean it.
I try to be a good friend to others. I'm not sure why it's so hard to be a friend to myself.

9 comments:

mermaid said...

Such a beautiful promise to befriend yourself. Maybe it's hard because we aren't taught to accept all parts of ourselves, but just to selectively love what's 'good'? I'm so glad Jan's course is helping you to change your negative self talk.

May you find kind things to say to yourself each precious moment you are alive.

teri said...

Oh Sharon- This post is really what I needed this morning. Ok so I will- starting today- stop the negative self talk. Oh my the first thought was the skeptical little voice saying "right---sure you will..." Here goes. blessings to you- - teri

PS glad you got to the beach- is it far?

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I like the commitment you made to yourself. I think I'd like to call it "starting affirming self-talk"!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I like this walk you're taking and am glad to be invited along. I like the idea of befriending myself. I have always enjoyed my own company, sometimes in preference to others in my life, I'm afraid.

One thing friends do is take each other out for lunch. I'm just sayin'...

Beverly said...

It is hard to be our own friend...I have just retired and am spending alone time. I find myself doing silly things, like acting goofy in front of the mirror...I thought I had gone mad until I remembered my mother doing that with me....
My mind sings to me....I hope you are kind to yourself. Good luck...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

It took me many years to befriend myself. Now I am kind to myself - most of the time:) Sometimes I hear that voice from the past "can't you find something to do". Now I answer "I like just being".
Why does it take us so long? Guess that is part of the journey!

Cindy said...

It makes me happy to know that you are no longing listening to the negative voices inside. I am with you in wondering why it is so difficult to be kind to ourselves when we have no trouble being kind to others.

Laura said...

Dear sweet soul-sister...I hope after our SoulCollage session, this will be a little bit easier...this transition to loving yourself...truly being YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND. It is time.

gentle steps

Patti Lacy said...

Sharon, you always seem to express things I've been pondering.

LOVE the contrasts and incongruities of life.

And LOVE the tone of acceptance in your voice.

Miss you!
Patti